1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free body diagram logic

1. Nov 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How come for the following image when I assume block B slips up, block A does not move. The free body diagram at block B does not have a normal from the ground. This is a static friction problem.
    c8159d667350baaca3628c32559c52fb.png

2. Relevant equations
    No relevant equations all theory

3. The attempt at a solution
    This should be the Free body diagram but why does B have no normal from the ground when this assumption is made?
    9125af555fd21b6e87a783fb1a808f7c.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what the original problem statement was, since you didn't provide it.

When blocks A and C are forced together, block B is going to slide upwards on the sloped face of block C. Once Block B is just a minute distance off the ground, there is no more normal force on the block from that direction.

4. Nov 29, 2015 #3
    I would assume if block B is slipping up, it is no longer in contact with the ground and therefore there cannot be a normal force.

5. Nov 29, 2015 #4
    The original problem statement was:
    The three stone blocks have weights of 60lb 150lb and 40 lb respectively Determine the smallest horizontal force P that must be applied to block C in order to move this block. The coefficient of static friction between the blocks is 0.3 and between the floor is 0.5

6. Nov 29, 2015 #5
    Based on the question, the only way to move C, is to lift B. Therefore, no normal.

7. Nov 29, 2015 #6
    Excellent, thank you that is what I thought. I did the question originally assuming the normal and the system was statically indeterminate I was unsure how to solve until I was told this FBD did not contain a normal but I was unsure as to why

8. Nov 30, 2015 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is that from checking with the actual numbers? With some combinations of weights etc., the three blocks would slide horizontally, no lifting.

9. Nov 30, 2015 #8
    No, I didn't use numbers. I was trying to visualize the block moving without lifting....I couldn't see it.

10. Nov 30, 2015 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Despite the way the blocks are drawn, block A is much lighter than block B. If it's light enough it will slide instead of B rising. It's easy to visualise - the three blocks slide as if one unit.
    Note that the clause "block A does not move" in the OP is not part of the problem specification; it is an observed consequence of the assumption that B slides up.

11. Nov 30, 2015 #10
    I guess I just latched onto the phrase Block A does not move. I am not sure if that was a part of the problem originally but that was the assumption I was basing my thoughts on. If it can move, I agree, there is a possibility that the whole unit could move together. In that case, yes I can visualize Block B travelling horizontally. :)

12. Nov 30, 2015 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The actual problem statement appears to be in post #4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted