1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Free body diagram of a car

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car pushes a block across the floor. (assume that it is moving from left to the right)

Draw a free body diagram for the car showing: Force by block on car. Force of friction. Force of Gravity. Normal force.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Normal force Straight up, gravity straight down. Force of box on car going left + force of friction going left.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2
    alright, i'll attach something for you

Note: Remember that no matter what your object is, it will remain as a box. Do not bother into details, only what that object (or system) it is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  4. Sep 25, 2010 #3
    is "force by rabbit" the same as force of car on rabbit? I interpreted that as the equal and opposite reaction push back onto the car from the rabbit.

5. Sep 25, 2010 #4
    they are action-reaction pairs I think, but no, they are seperate forces. Remember to label each one with a different name.

6. Sep 25, 2010 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

when did the block change into a rabbit?
    if the friction force on car and force of block on car both point left, how does the car move to the right?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook