1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Body Diagram Of a Situation

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello people,
    First of all, this is my first day in this forum and this post is my very first post. So, I am extremely sorry if I violate any rules here.
    I have to solve a problem involving frictions. I will solve the problem myself; I just need help with drawing the Free Body Diagram of it. Here is the problem:
    http://www.solutioninn.com/engineer...-w1-is-placed-across-the-channel-and-boy-of-w

2. Relevant equations
    F = usN (us is the coefficient of static friction)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have drawn the Free Body Diagram; I would like to make sure if it's correct or not.
    Here's what I think is correct. Am I missing anything here?
    [PLAIN]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/310450_10150377422927432_808377431_8363863_2056490143_n.jpg [Broken]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, Arka2334! :smile:

In this FBD of the board combined with the boy, you need another force of friction at A.

Btw, the friction at B should be in the opposite direction, since the board would tend to slide down, and the friction on the board opposes that movement.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    Ahh, thank you very much. Right, the Friction in point B DOES have to be in the opposite side; that was a silly mistake. I was just unsure if I need any force of friction in point A or not, since at that part, the board just seems to be resting on the surface. That was the main reason I asked this question actually.
    Anyway, thank you very much for your help. ^_^

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

You're welcome! :smile:

Btw, in an FBD you're supposed to have all the forces, even if some of them may turn out to be zero.
    If you're not sure a force is zero, you'd better include it - better safe than sorry.
    Only if there are no horizontal forces in play at all can you afford to leave the possible horizontal forces out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook