What is the Acceleration of a Couch Being Pushed at an Angle with Friction?

In summary, the force of 56 N at an angle of 40 above horizontal is insufficient to move the couch an acceleration of 0 is calculated.
gullyb

Homework Statement

An 82 kg couch is being pushed with a force of 56 N at an angle of 40 above horizontal. If the coefficient of friction between the couch and the floor is 0.051, what is the acceleration of the couch?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
gullyb said:

Homework Statement

An 82 kg couch is being pushed with a force of 56 N at an angle of 40 above horizontal. If the coefficient of friction between the couch and the floor is 0.051, what is the acceleration of the couch?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello gullyb. Welcome to PF !

What have you tried?

Where are you stuck?

Before we can help you, you need to show some effort at solving this problem.

Merely stating a problem is not enough effort to obtain help.

Please follow the homework template.

ooh sorry,

okay i broke down the fa into its components which i get
fapph=56cos40
fapph=42.9

fappv=56sin40
fappv=36.0

then i found the fg to be 804.42
fg=mg
fg=(82)(9.81)
fg= 804.42

then i solved for fn by making fnet = 0 because the forces cancel out because there is no movement in the verticle direction.
fn=fnet-fg-fappv
fn=0-804.42-36.0
fn=840.42

then i find the force of friction which turns out to be the same as fapph this is where I am stuck, because i don't think they should be the same
ff=uk*fn
=(0.051)(840.42)
=42.9

so if i try to find the acceleration it won't make sense
fnet=ff-faaph
fnet=0
fnet=ma
a=fnet/m

idk what i did wrong please help ?

Looks good, keep going, solve for a. What does that imply?

well this would mean that the acceleration is 0 so there is no acceleration? but i don't think that is right

gullyb said:
a force of 56 N at an angle of 40 above horizontal

I would have interpreted that as pushing upwards. Am I wrong?

gullyb said:
well this would mean that the acceleration is 0 so there is no acceleration? but i don't think that is right

Why not? What does it mean if the couch is moving but not accelerating?

PhanthomJay said:
Why not? What does it mean if the couch is moving but not accelerating?

hmmm it means that its moving at a constant velocity. ooh okay yes that makes sense thank you! :D

gullyb said:
hmmm it means that its moving at a constant velocity. ooh okay yes that makes sense thank you! :D

Did you see my comment, post #7?

haruspex said:
Did you see my comment, post #7?

oooh sorry no, hmm that could be right because they didnt really give any direction to where the couch is going, but i kinda assumed that its moving forward so there won't be any displacement in the verticle direction?

gullyb said:
i kinda assumed that its moving forward so there won't be any displacement in the verticle direction?
There won't be any vertical displacement provided the upward component is insufficient overcome gravity. But it will reduce the normal force, and hence the friction.

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It is used to analyze the motion of the object and determine the net force acting on it.

How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, draw a simple sketch of the object and represent each force with an arrow, indicating the direction and magnitude of the force.

What are the common types of forces represented in a free body diagram?

Some common types of forces represented in a free body diagram include gravity, normal force, tension, friction, and applied force.

How does a free body diagram help in problem-solving?

A free body diagram helps in problem-solving by providing a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. This allows you to apply the laws of motion and solve for the unknown variables, such as acceleration or net force.

Can a free body diagram be used for objects at rest?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for objects at rest. In this case, the net force acting on the object is zero, and the forces acting on the object are balanced. This can be represented by arrows of equal length pointing in opposite directions.