Free Body Diagram tension help

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a free body diagram in a physics problem involving multiple forces. The individual has already found the correct answer but is struggling with representing the tension of the bottom-most string in the diagram. The expert explains that the FBD should include two downward arrows to represent the two forces acting on the upper block.
okgo

Homework Statement

physic.jpg

Homework Equations

I already got the right answer in the book. The only issue I have is drawing the free body diagram which it doesn't show. I'm not sure how to include the tension of the bottom-most string into the first diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

diagram.jpg

Its meant to say 72 N for the first diagram

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two downward forces on the upper block. One is the gravity force, its own weight, and the other is the tension in the sring due to the weight of the lower block. Thus your FBD for the upper block needs two down arrows.

I would suggest approaching the problem by breaking down the forces acting on the object in question. In this case, we have three strings pulling on the object, each with their own tension force.

To include the tension of the bottom-most string in the first diagram, you can draw an arrow pointing upwards from the object to represent the force of tension exerted by that string. Make sure to label it with the appropriate value of 72 N. This will complete the free body diagram for the first scenario.

Additionally, it may be helpful to draw separate diagrams for each string, showing the direction and magnitude of the tension force acting on the object. This can help visualize the overall forces at play and make it easier to understand the problem.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework!

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of an object or system in which all external forces acting on the object are shown as vectors. These forces include tension, weight, friction, and any other forces that may be present.

Why is it important to use free body diagrams in scientific analysis?

Free body diagrams help to simplify complex systems and make it easier to analyze the forces acting on an object. They also help to identify any unknown forces or interactions that may be present.

How do you calculate tension in a free body diagram?

Tension can be calculated by using Newton's second law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In a free body diagram, the tension force can be represented by a vector pointing away from the object.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a free body diagram?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to include all external forces, drawing forces in the wrong direction, and not labeling the forces correctly. It is important to always double check the diagram to ensure all forces are accurately represented.

Can a free body diagram be used for objects in motion?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for objects in motion. In this case, the forces may change as the object moves, so it is important to redraw the diagram at different points in time to accurately represent the forces acting on the object.