1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free body diagram

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When drawing a freebody diagram for just an elevator, not the people in it, what are all the forces that we have to consider? I just used Fg down and Ft up, but because it is accelerating up, I made Ft greater.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2008 #2
    Just because the elevator is moving up, doesn't mean it is always accelerating up. It may only accelerate when it first starts moving and right before it stops at your floor. Otherwise, it may be moving with uniform velocity upwards.
  4. Apr 5, 2008 #3
    Well, in the question it stated that it was accelerating... So was I right to have only the two forces Ft and Fg with Ft bigger?
  5. Apr 5, 2008 #4
    In that case, your diagram is correct to have Ft greater in magnitude than Fg, since Ft + Fg = Fnet = ma and a must be non-zero, and I'm assuming the elevator is accelerating in the direction of Ft. ;)
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?