1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free body diagrams convention

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1
    Do you normally write the magnitude of the vectors in free body diagrams? I have homework on this. Is there any convention when writing the magnitude?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what you mean by 'write the magnitude' of a vector. Can you give some examples?

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you are asking. Sure you write the magnitude (in newtons or whatever) if you know it. Otherwise, write it as a variable and try to solve for it later.

5. Jun 20, 2013 #4
    Magnitude as in the "length" or norm of the vector i.e. 5N, or 4m/s.
    So, there's no convention that forces you to write the magnitude if you know it at the beginning of a problem?

6. Jun 20, 2013 #5
    One is usually better off using symbols for known and unknown quantities alike, and using algebra to express unknowns via knowns. The numbers can be plugged in at the very end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted