1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free body diagrams

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1
    im having trouble solving this? what do i do with mew? thanks :cry:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2004 #2
    The question should really give you more information. Is mu the coefficient of static or kinetic friction? What is [itex]F_{1}[/itex]? I'm assuming [itex]F_{2}[/itex] is the applied force, and [itex]F_{1}[/itex] is the net force. Maybe they want you to find the frictional force? Seriously, this is the worst-written question I've ever seen. Are you sure you included everthing? The way it is, there is no unknown variable. Oh boy...

4. Oct 12, 2004 #3
    What specifically are you trying to solve. The net force on the object?

If so a good place to start would be to separate your horizontal and vertical forces. Don't forget that you can convert F2 into horizontal and vertical components aswell.

Don't forget Newton's Second Law. The frictional force can be found using the normal force (all required information is given) and the coefficient of friction.

Then you should have everything you need to complete the problem and find the net force acting on the mass.

I rushed through the problem and I didn't have a calculator on hand but I believe the solution should come out to approximately 15N [R].

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?