Free body mechanics problem

In summary, the acceleration of the larger block of mass M on a frictionless floor of the pulley system in the given figure will be 4mg/(M+16m). This can be derived by solving the equations Ma = 4T and mg-T = 4ma for the acceleration of the larger block. The other answer given in the text, 4mg/(M+17m), is incorrect.
dk_ch
the acceleration of the larger block of mass M on frictionless floor of the pully system as in (fig given bmp attachment) will be
(i) 4mg/(M+17m) (ii) 4mg/(M+16m)

which answer is correct and how?

Attachments

• pully-system.bmp
    48.9 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF. Note that you must show some work before we can help you in the homework forums: i.e. fill in parts 2 and 3 on the homework template!

I tried to solve the problem using following two equations taking large and small block
respectively as freebodies

Ma = 4T ------(1)
mg-T = 4ma -------(2)

solving these two i get acceleration of the larger block a = 4mg/(M + 16m)

the answer given in the text is the other one. please provide me the right answer.

I agree with your answer.

1. What is a free body mechanics problem?

A free body mechanics problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on a single body or object. It helps us understand how these forces affect the motion and stability of the body.

2. How do you approach solving a free body mechanics problem?

To solve a free body mechanics problem, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the body. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion to analyze the forces and determine the net force and acceleration of the body.

3. What are some common types of forces involved in free body mechanics problems?

Common types of forces in free body mechanics problems include weight, normal force, tension, friction, and applied forces. These forces can be either internal or external to the body.

4. How do you draw a free body diagram for a given problem?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. To draw one, you need to first identify the body and all the forces acting on it. Then, draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force.

5. What are some real-life applications of free body mechanics?

Free body mechanics is used in various fields, including engineering, sports, and medicine. It can help engineers design structures that can withstand different forces, athletes improve their performance, and doctors understand the impact of forces on the human body.