Find Free Charge Enclosed by Sphere of Radius R

In summary, the problem asks for the total charge enclosed by a sphere of radius R centered at a point charge Q. The only way to calculate this is to know the free charge enclosed by a gaussian surface, which is what the problem asks for to begin with. Conceptually, I know that a bound charge density is induced around the charge Q, but I still don't see how I can use the total charge enclosed without also knowing the bound charge density. To help answer the question, how do you distinguish between "free" and "bound" charge? Is Q a free charge? Does the dielectric material itself have any free charge?
zephyr5050

Homework Statement

A point charge ##Q## is embedded in a dielectric medium with relative permittivity ##\epsilon_r##. What is the free charge enclosed by a sphere of radius ##R## centered at ##Q##.

Homework Equations

##\nabla \cdot \mathbf D = \rho_f##

##\oint \mathbf D \cdot d \mathbf A = Q_{free,enclosed}##

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial attempt would be to use ##\nabla \cdot \mathbf D = \rho_f##. For a single charge ##Q## at the origin, the displacement field should be

##\mathbf D = \frac{Q}{4 \pi r^2} \hat{\mathbf r}##

which can be found from Gauss' Law. The only issue is, that requires knowing the free charge enclosed in the gaussian surface, which is what the problem asks for to begin with. It's completely circular. I just can't figure a way to get the free charge enclosed in a sphere, especially without any information about electric fields or electric potentials. Any guidance on how to approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi zephyr5050! :smile:

hint: what is the total charge enclosed by the sphere of radius R ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi zephyr5050! :smile:

hint: what is the total charge enclosed by the sphere of radius R ? :wink:

Hello tiny-tim. Thanks for the response.

As it turns out, that is part c of the problem, after asking what the bound charge density is. Obviously the total charge enclosed should be ##Q## plus any other free charge (although I don't believe there is one) and whatever bound charge density is induced. Conceptually I know that a bound charge density is induced around the charge ##Q##, but I still don't see how I can use the total charge enclosed without also knowing the bound charge density.

To help answer the question, how do you distinguish between "free" and "bound" charge? Is Q a free charge? Does the dielectric material itself have any free charge?

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
To help answer the question, how do you distinguish between "free" and "bound" charge?

Well, the free charge would be anything which can move freely around the system, whereas the bound charge is any charge confined to an atom, but which is creating an electric field due to the fact that it has been pulled away from the rest of it's atom.

TSny said:
Is Q a free charge?

I believe it should be considering it is not confined to an atom. And as far as I can reason, it should be the only free charge.

TSny said:
Does the dielectric material itself have any free charge?

Well obviously not. I can certainly qualitatively reason that the only free charge should be that which is given by the problem. That charge can't induce any other free charge in the dielectric. It can merely polarize the dielectric and create a bound charge near the free charge. But that doesn't seem to bring me any close to quantitatively calculating the free charge.

zephyr5050 said:
I can certainly qualitatively reason that the only free charge should be that which is given by the problem. That charge can't induce any other free charge in the dielectric. It can merely polarize the dielectric and create a bound charge near the free charge.

Yes. Good.

But that doesn't seem to bring me any close to quantitatively calculating the free charge.

I would think it does. :redface:

But that seems absurdly simple. I don't even have to do any math for that. I suppose that is the answer, but it just feels like its not enough to satisfactorily answer the question.

Yes, it's simple. But it is a check on your understanding.

Alright, thanks for your help TSny, and you too tiny-tim.

1. What is the formula for finding the free charge enclosed by a sphere of radius R?

The formula for finding the free charge enclosed by a sphere of radius R is Q = 4πε0R3ΦE, where Q is the free charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, R is the radius of the sphere, and ΦE is the electric flux through the surface of the sphere.

2. How is the free charge enclosed by a sphere of radius R related to the electric field inside the sphere?

The free charge enclosed by a sphere of radius R is directly proportional to the electric field inside the sphere. This means that as the electric field increases, the amount of free charge enclosed also increases. This relationship is described by the formula Q = 4πε0R3ΦE.

3. Can the free charge enclosed by a sphere of radius R be negative?

Yes, the free charge enclosed by a sphere of radius R can be negative. This can occur if the electric field inside the sphere is directed towards the center, which would result in a negative electric flux. The negative charge enclosed would then be given by the formula Q = -4πε0R3ΦE.

4. How does the free charge enclosed by a sphere of radius R affect the electric potential inside the sphere?

The free charge enclosed by a sphere of radius R affects the electric potential inside the sphere by creating an electric field. This electric field is responsible for the change in potential from the surface to the center of the sphere. The electric potential can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/R, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the free charge enclosed, and R is the radius of the sphere.

5. Is the free charge enclosed by a sphere of radius R affected by the material of the sphere?

No, the free charge enclosed by a sphere of radius R is not affected by the material of the sphere. This is because the amount of free charge is solely dependent on the electric flux through the surface of the sphere and not on the material properties. However, the electric field and electric potential inside the sphere may be affected by the material properties.