Cheap/Free SPICE: Reviews and Recommendations

• Thread starter tfr000
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about discussing the use of a free or cheap SPICE program. The individual has found difficulty in finding a decent one and is considering using a batch-style SPICE or post-processing the results. They mention an older thread about the topic and someone suggests LTSpice, which can be downloaded for free and is highly recommended. Additional models and resources are also mentioned. Another individual recommends a different program, but the original person is satisfied with LTSpice.
tfr000
Anyone using a free/cheap SPICE that they like?
I keep finding myself handicapped by not having access to one, but I would rather not have to trial-and-error a bunch of them in order to find a decent one.
I used batch-style SPICE back in the day, so I can do that if necessary, and post-process the results. Probably easier now that spreadsheets and whatnot are common.

Engineering news on Phys.org
tfr000 said:
Anyone using a free/cheap SPICE that they like?
I keep finding myself handicapped by not having access to one, but I would rather not have to trial-and-error a bunch of them in order to find a decent one.
I used batch-style SPICE back in the day, so I can do that if necessary, and post-process the results. Probably easier now that spreadsheets and whatnot are common.

I thought we had several older threads about this, but only found this one with a search:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=558549

Are you a student?

Thanks, that's helpful.

Student? :rofl: When I said "back in the day", I was thinking the 80's...

LTSpice

LTSpice is free and work very good.

Here you can find all the additional models
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice/
and here
http://valvolodin.narod.ru/soft/extra.rar
Unpack the archive "extra.rar", using the archive RAR
Copy "extra1.rar" which is installed in the directories are LTspiceIV. Typically, this directory is "C: \ Program Files \ LTC"
Unzip "extra1.rar" which is installed in the directories are LTspiceIV
Finish

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is SPICE and why is it important in the scientific community?

SPICE stands for Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis. It is a type of software used by scientists and engineers to simulate and analyze the behavior of electronic circuits. It is important because it allows for accurate and efficient testing of circuit designs before they are physically built, saving time and resources.

2. Is there a cheap or free version of SPICE available?

Yes, there are several options for cheap or free SPICE software. Some popular options include LTspice, Ngspice, and TINA-TI. These programs offer a variety of features and are suitable for different levels of circuit design.

3. What are the benefits of using cheap or free SPICE software?

The main benefit of using cheap or free SPICE software is the cost savings. These programs are often more affordable than their commercial counterparts, making them accessible to a wider range of users. Additionally, they still offer many of the same features and capabilities as commercial SPICE software.

4. Are there any limitations to using cheap or free SPICE software?

While cheap or free SPICE software can be a great option for many users, they may have some limitations compared to commercial software. These limitations can include a smaller library of components, less advanced simulation capabilities, and potentially less reliable technical support.

5. How can I find reliable reviews and recommendations for cheap or free SPICE software?

There are several ways to find reliable reviews and recommendations for cheap or free SPICE software. One option is to search for user reviews and ratings on popular software review websites. Another option is to ask for recommendations from colleagues or other scientists in your field who have experience with SPICE software. Additionally, many software providers offer free trials or demos, allowing you to test the software before committing to a purchase.