1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free choice of variables

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    BR1XZBL.png

Hi, I don't quite understand when finding eigenvectors there is usually a free choice of variables to pick, and you can sub in any number to find an eigenvector. Could anyone please explain how this works (and why you can sub in any number), as this usually comes up in vector problems with 3 variables also.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For ANY value ##c \neq 0## the vector
    [tex] \pmatrix{x\\y} = c \pmatrix{-5\\1} [/tex]
    is an eigenvector. So, If I want, I can choose
    [tex] \pmatrix{5000\\-1000}\text{ or } \pmatrix{-1/3 \\1/15}\text{ or } \cdots . [/tex]

4. Apr 1, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In fact, the set of all eigenvectors of liear transformation A, corresponding to a given eigenvalue, form a subspace.

If u and v are both eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex] then so is au+ bv for any scalars a and b:
    [tex]A(au+ bv)= aA(u)+ bA(v)= a(\lambda u)+ b(\lambda v)= \lambda (au+ bv)[/tex].

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted