Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free downloadable science books

1. Jun 21, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2007 #2
  4. Jul 21, 2007 #3
    are these legal?
  5. Jul 22, 2007 #4
    Usually redistribution seems to be prohibited, but they are meant to be downloaded, legally and for free, from where their authors want them to be downloaded.
  6. Jul 22, 2007 #5
    Nice links. Thanks very much.
  7. Jul 23, 2007 #6
  8. Aug 3, 2007 #7
    You'll find lots of great, classic textbooks from this archive:

They seem to have their copyrights expired, due to the age of original publication, so I think they are all legal. Still very useful for most purposes.
  9. Aug 9, 2007 #8
    The books are great. Thanks for sharing those wonderful links.
  10. Aug 13, 2007 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are 2 old books (Messiah and Cohen-Tannoudji et al.) and one (very) new one (Manoukian) which are very thick and full of information. But no, even all 3 of them together don't add up to 5000 pages...:D
  11. Aug 19, 2007 #10
    Is "Quantum Field Theory" by Ryder a good introductory book on qft?
  12. Aug 19, 2007 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd say it's an excellent book on QFT, but make sure you read Griffiths's particle phyiscs text b4.
  13. Aug 20, 2007 #12
    Is Griffith's book "An Intorduction to Quantum Mechanics" or is it called something else?
  14. Aug 20, 2007 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No its called "Introduction to elementary particles"
  15. Sep 27, 2007 #14
    griffiths did write a few books... to clarify the last post i believe was saying that the book by griffiths about elementary particles should not be confused with his intro to QM book. he did write that also. hope that helps.
  16. Nov 15, 2007 #15
  17. Nov 20, 2007 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When posting links in this thread, please ensure that only LEGALLY available downloads are included on the site. If a site doesn't have an explicit statement regarding copyright policy on the books offered (i.e., permission from the publisher to read but not redistribute, or only offering books that are old enough to be out of copyright, or have been made available with permission from the publisher/author), we're going to take the cautious approach of deleting the link.
  18. Mar 10, 2008 #17
    nice topic
    also i recommended this
    download a very nice text(pdf format) in physics and math with history
  19. Jan 28, 2009 #18
    Re: Free Physics Textbook

Sadly, the following phrase on the front page is a stumbling block with parents and school boards:

"Exploring these questions with this text will provide at least as much pleasure as making love."

The more conservative parents and board members would likely wonder what a phrase like that is doing in a book targeted toward "...curious men, women, boys and girls."
  20. Jan 28, 2009 #19

This is an excellent book, thanks for posting it :)
  21. Jan 29, 2009 #20

Yeah. I am not conservative by any means, but even I am wondering why the hell one would put that statement there. :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted