Free downloadable science books

• Thread starter smallphi
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

are these legal?

Usually redistribution seems to be prohibited, but they are meant to be downloaded, legally and for free, from where their authors want them to be downloaded.

Nice links. Thanks very much.

You'll find lots of great, classic textbooks from this archive:

http://www.archive.org/details/texts

They seem to have their copyrights expired, due to the age of original publication, so I think they are all legal. Still very useful for most purposes.

Likes justin001
tochakyam
The books are great. Thanks for sharing those wonderful links.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
There are 2 old books (Messiah and Cohen-Tannoudji et al.) and one (very) new one (Manoukian) which are very thick and full of information. But no, even all 3 of them together don't add up to 5000 pages...:D

Is "Quantum Field Theory" by Ryder a good introductory book on qft?

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I'd say it's an excellent book on QFT, but make sure you read Griffiths's particle phyiscs text b4.

I'd say it's an excellent book on QFT, but make sure you read Griffiths's particle phyiscs text b4.

Is Griffith's book "An Intorduction to Quantum Mechanics" or is it called something else?

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
No its called "Introduction to elementary particles"

No its called "Introduction to elementary particles"

griffiths did write a few books... to clarify the last post i believe was saying that the book by griffiths about elementary particles should not be confused with his intro to QM book. he did write that also. hope that helps.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When posting links in this thread, please ensure that only LEGALLY available downloads are included on the site. If a site doesn't have an explicit statement regarding copyright policy on the books offered (i.e., permission from the publisher to read but not redistribute, or only offering books that are old enough to be out of copyright, or have been made available with permission from the publisher/author), we're going to take the cautious approach of deleting the link.

nice topic
also i recommended this
www.motionmountain.net
download a very nice text(pdf format) in physics and math with history

Sadly, the following phrase on the front page is a stumbling block with parents and school boards:

"Exploring these questions with this text will provide at least as much pleasure as making love."

The more conservative parents and board members would likely wonder what a phrase like that is doing in a book targeted toward "...curious men, women, boys and girls."

This is an excellent book, thanks for posting it :)

Sadly, the following phrase on the front page is a stumbling block with parents and school boards:

"Exploring these questions with this text will provide at least as much pleasure as making love."

The more conservative parents and board members would likely wonder what a phrase like that is doing in a book targeted toward "...curious men, women, boys and girls."

Yeah. I am not conservative by any means, but even I am wondering why the hell one would put that statement there. :rofl:

Thanks. I see the site also hosts many other texts in other fields.

maybe it comes from Feynman:

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."

Free physics textbook/material

Could someone please give some sources where we can obtain free physics textbooks. Also could somebody please tell me good physics websites that give you interesting and understandable information and some computer websites that help you learn about them from the basics to the higher levels.

Many thanks rakesh_kpn, this should be really useful for me!!!!!!!!

Thanks! It's looks very usefull for me