Free Energy Change/Equilibirum

In summary, in the previous question, the standard Free Energy Change (ΔGo) was calculated in order to solve for the equilibrium constant, K, for the reaction N2(g) + 3H2(g) → 2NH3(g). The non-standard Free Energy change (ΔG) was then calculated at 298 K, given the non-standard initial concentrations of the three gases and the equation ΔG=ΔG°+RTln(Q). In the following conversation, the spontaneity of a standard reaction, ΔGo, was discussed and the correct answers for the given statements were provided. Further clarification was given for the calculation of ΔG using the equation ΔG=ΔG°+RTln
mudkip26

Homework Statement

In the previous question, you had to calculate the the standard Free Energy Change (Go) in order to solve for the equilibrium constant, K, for the reaction:

N2(g) + 3H2(g) → 2NH3(g)

This is the Free Energy measured under standard conditions, when the reaction is started with 1.0 M of each of the three gases present. Calculate the non-standard Free Energy change (G) at 298 K, given the following non-standard initial concentrations of the three gases. Answer in kJ.
Gfo = -16.6 kJ/mol for NH3 (g) at 298 K

initial concentration (M)
N2 1.0
H2 0.01
NH3 4.5

I use the equation for K to find the equilibrium constant of Q=20049504.95

I then use the equation ΔG=ΔG°+RTln(Q)

I keep getting an answer of 41643.09479/1000=41.643kJ...

Where am I going wrong?

----------------------

The spontaneity of a standard reaction, ΔGo, depends on both ΔHo and ΔSo. Given the following reaction and data table, decide if each of the statements shown below are True or False.
Assume that ΔHo and ΔSo are independent of Temperature.

3 O2 (g) → 2 O3 (g)

ΔHorxn 285 kJ
ΔSorxn -137 J/K

My answers will be in blue

This reaction is endothermic True
This reaction is exothermic False
This reaction is endergonic (ΔGo > 0) at 298 K True
This reaction is exergonic (ΔGo < 0) at 298 K False
This standard reaction will only be spontaneous at high temperatures (T > 2080 K) False
This standard reaction will only be spontaneous at low temperatures (T < 2080 K) False
This standard reaction will be spontaneous at all temperatures True
This standard reaction will not be spontaneous at any temperature True

I have tried this problem several times. Could anybody maybe help me and tell me which ones I might have wrong?

Homework Equations

I then use the equation ΔG=ΔG°+RTln(Q)

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempts are listed up above with the other parts

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anybody try to help me solve this?

For #1, you correctly calculate that RT ln(Q) = 41.6 kJ/mol. The problem tells you that ΔG° = -16.6 kJ/mol. Calculate ΔG.

mudkip26 said:
This standard reaction will be spontaneous at all temperatures True
This standard reaction will not be spontaneous at any temperature True

These answers don't seem to be consistent with each other.

So I plug in the 41.6 into what equation? I'm sorry I'm just a little confused. :/

And for the next one, should the first one be false?

mudkip26 said:
So I plug in the 41.6 into what equation? I'm sorry I'm just a little confused. :/

ΔG=ΔG°+RTln(Q)

You calculated RTln(Q) and ΔG° was given to you in the problem. All you need to do is add them to get ΔG.

And for the next one, should the first one be false?

Yes.

Ygggdrasil said:
ΔG=ΔG°+RTln(Q)

You calculated RTln(Q) and ΔG° was given to you in the problem. All you need to do is add them to get ΔG.

Yes.

And I can find Q from using the initial concentrations given?

Ygggdrasil said:
Yes.

Alright. Thank you for your help (:

Ygggdrasil said:
Yes.

I went and added the two together but it still says I am wrong. Could I be calculating my ΔG wrong?

Oh, since the reaction forms 2 moles of ammonia, ΔG° = 2 *(-16.6 kJ/mol).

Ygggdrasil said:
Oh, since the reaction forms 2 moles of ammonia, ΔG° = 2 *(-16.6 kJ/mol).
That worked perfect, thank you! (:

What is free energy change?

Free energy change, also known as Gibbs free energy, is a measure of the amount of energy available to do work in a thermodynamic system at a constant temperature and pressure. It takes into account both the enthalpy (heat) and entropy (disorder) of a system.

How is free energy change related to equilibrium?

In a thermodynamic system, free energy change is related to equilibrium in that at equilibrium, the free energy is at its minimum. This means that the system has reached a state of balance where the forward and reverse reactions occur at the same rate, and there is no further net change in the system.

What factors affect free energy change?

The factors that affect free energy change include temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can alter the free energy of a system and shift it towards or away from equilibrium.

How is free energy change calculated?

The free energy change of a reaction can be calculated using the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ΔS is the change in entropy. A negative ΔG indicates a spontaneous reaction, while a positive ΔG indicates a non-spontaneous reaction.

What is the significance of free energy change in biological systems?

In biological systems, free energy change plays an important role in determining whether a reaction will occur spontaneously or not. Cells use free energy to drive metabolic processes and maintain homeostasis. The availability of free energy also affects the stability and structure of biological molecules.