Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Energy help

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    It's thermo.. so I just posted it in the physics forums

but.. a free energy diagram is supposed to represent G right?

We normally conclude whether a rxn is endo/exothermic depending on whether the product is at a "lower" or higher energy than the reactants just by looking at the diagram

[​IMG]

But how can we do that? especially if Delta G = Delta H - (T * Delta S)
    Free energy depends on Entropy and Temperature as well

A "negative" change in free energy surely does not necessarily mean an exothermic reaction.... but somehow, we are able to conclude whether something is exo/endo simply by looking at a free energy diagram.. how?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The diagram you have there doesn't have any numbers on it, but if it did it would be valid for only one set of initial conditions.

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence. A negative delta G is exothermic because it means energy is released. The initial hump there doesn't have anything to do with if the final result is exothermic or endothermic - it is just the required activation energy (in this case, it looks like the energy required to disassociate the constituents of the compound).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?