Freezing Cold Energy: Building a Sterling Engine

In summary, the conversation explores the idea of building a sterling engine to generate electricity in extreme weather conditions without paying for electricity. However, it is pointed out that there are upfront costs and labor involved in building such a generator. The conversation also touches on the potential for low cost electricity and the possibility of breaking the laws of physics.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
I don't pay my electricity bill so if I build a sterling engine going out into the -40 degree weather...

Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: Starting trouble, huh? :rofl:

apparently not an appreciable amount.

Well, you gets what you pays for...

I thought this type of thread always starts with "Tell me why this won't work!" and ends with someone posting the crackpot point rating system. :tongue:

It may still end that way...

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It may still end that way...

Zz.

I'm waiting for the
"You may actually be onto something!" post... :uhh:

moose said:
I'm waiting for the
"You may actually be onto something!" post... :uhh:

Then you shouldn't be looking in the GD forum.

Zz.

Pythagorean said:
I don't pay my electricity bill so if I build a sterling engine going out into the -40 degree weather...
Well, folks at NASA's Glenn Research Center have designed and built Stirling engines and generating systems with linear induction generators. But one still needs a heat source. :wink:

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/tmsb/stirling.html

Of course, building one's own generator may potentially lead to low cost electricity, but it's not exactly free. There are upfront capital costs and some labor involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dennisk
YOU MAY BE ON TO SOMETHING!:rofl::rofl:Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Needs more zpm!

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5664/untitled6jf1.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only is the energy free, but my landlord would probably say I'm not conserving energy.

I think I broke the physics.

1. What is a Sterling engine and how does it work?

A Sterling engine is a type of heat engine that operates by cyclic compression and expansion of air or other gas at different temperature levels. It works by using the temperature difference between hot and cold reservoirs to move a piston, which in turn powers the engine. The hot reservoir is typically heated by an external heat source, while the cold reservoir is cooled by an external energy sink, such as air or water.

2. How does "Freezing Cold Energy" play a role in building a Sterling engine?

In traditional Sterling engines, the hot reservoir is usually heated by burning fossil fuels or through solar energy. "Freezing Cold Energy" refers to the use of cold temperatures, such as those found in the Arctic or Antarctica, as the cold reservoir in a Sterling engine. This allows for the engine to operate without the need for external fuels or energy sources, making it more sustainable and environmentally friendly.

3. What are the potential applications of "Freezing Cold Energy" Sterling engines?

"Freezing Cold Energy" Sterling engines have the potential to be used in a variety of applications, including powering remote or off-grid communities in cold climates, providing electricity for research stations in the polar regions, and even powering vehicles or spacecraft in extreme environments.

4. What are the challenges in building a "Freezing Cold Energy" Sterling engine?

One of the main challenges in building a "Freezing Cold Energy" Sterling engine is finding materials and components that can withstand the extreme cold temperatures without breaking or malfunctioning. Another challenge is designing the engine to be efficient and reliable in such harsh conditions.

5. Are there any existing examples of "Freezing Cold Energy" Sterling engines?

While there have been some experimental prototypes and small-scale demonstrations of "Freezing Cold Energy" Sterling engines, there are currently no large-scale commercial examples. However, with the increasing focus on renewable and sustainable energy sources, it is likely that we will see more developments in this technology in the near future.