1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Fall Acceleration Problem

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Falls resulting in hip fractures are a major cause of injury and even death to the elderly. Typically, the hip’s speed at impact is about 2.0 m/s. If this can be reduced to 1.3 m/s or less, the hip will usually not fracture. One way to do this is by wearing elastic hip pads.

If a typical pad is 5.0 cm thick and compresses by 2.0 cm during the impact of a fall, what acceleration (in m/s^2) does the hip undergo to reduce its speed to 1.3 m/s?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    y1-yO=-2 cm = 0.02M Vf= 1.3 V0=2.0 a=?
    1.3^2-2.0^2 =-2.31

(-2.31m^2/s^2)/ 2*-0.02m =a a= 57.75m/s^2

question is......did i do this problem right because this is an online hw problem and i keep getting it wrong so i'm wondering if it is the program or if it just me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi tater08! :smile:

Your answer looks fine to me! :smile:

I think it must be a misprint …

hmm :rolleyes: … try using 3.0 cm instead of 2.0 cm, and see if the computer accepts that! :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?