Calculating Velocity in Free Fall from a Given Height

In summary, To solve the problem of a worker dropping a wrench from the top of a 89.0 m tall tower and finding the velocity with which it strikes the ground, you will need to use the equation v_f^2=v_o^2+2ax, where v_f is the final velocity, v_o is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (in this case, 9.8 m/s^2), and x is the distance traveled (89.0 m). This equation can be found in your physics book and is simply a matter of plugging in the given numbers to solve for the final velocity.
kevinlikesphysics
ok how would i go about solving this an what equations do i use

[SFHS99 2.P.40.] A worker drops a wrench from the top of a tower 89.0 m tall. With what velocity does the wrench strike the ground? (Assume the positive direction is upward.)
wrong check mark m/s

i have to use this webassign thing to do my assingments and i have limited tries to get them right that's why I am asking for help thanks a lot that is just one of many but they are all like that

Physics news on Phys.org
In your phyiscs class you have probably already learned the equations for motion with a constant acceleration. You are given the acceleration (9.8 m/s^s the acceleration due to gravity), the initial velocity (0 m/s), and the distance that the object will travel under the acceleration 89.0 meters.

Do you know the equation [tex]v_f^2=v_o^2+2ax[/tex] where x is the distance traveled? You have probably seen equation already. If you don't know it, refer to your physics book to see how it was derived and then memorize the equation.

Solving this problems is just a matter of plugging the numbers into the equation.

thanks i got it

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is a type of motion that occurs when an object is only influenced by the force of gravity. This means that the object is accelerating downwards, towards the Earth, at a constant rate.

2. What factors affect an object's free fall?

The only factor that affects an object's free fall is the force of gravity. The mass, shape, and size of the object do not affect its acceleration in free fall. This means that all objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate in a vacuum.

3. How is free fall different from other types of motion?

Free fall is different from other types of motion because it is solely influenced by the force of gravity. In other types of motion, there are additional forces at play, such as friction or air resistance, that can affect the object's movement.

4. How is free fall measured?

Free fall can be measured using a timer and a measuring device, such as a ruler or tape measure. The time it takes for an object to fall can be recorded and used to calculate its acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the formula for calculating free fall?

The formula for calculating free fall is: distance = 1/2 x acceleration due to gravity x time squared. This means that the distance an object falls is directly proportional to the square of the time it takes to fall, and the acceleration due to gravity.