Free fall (check my solution im stuck) PLEASE HELP ME TODAY

In summary, a boy standing on a bridge 20.0 m above a river throws a stone down with a speed of 12.0 m/s and another pebble up with the same speed. The velocity of the stone and pebble as they reach the water is approximately 23 m/s. The average velocity of the stone while in flight is 17.81 m/s, and the average velocity of the pebble is 5.5 m/s. The time taken for the pebble to reach the water is approximately 3.636 seconds.
Faiza
Q40. A boy stands at the edge of a bridge 20.0 m above a river and throws a stone straight down with a speed of 12.0 m/s. He throws another pebble straight upward with the same speed so that it misses the edge of the bridge on the way back down and falls into the river. For each stone find (a) the velocity as it reaches the water and (b) the average velocity while it is in flight.Note: Ignore the affects of air resistance.
(a) X= 20 m a=9.80m/s2 V_i=12.0 m/s V_f= ?
V_f^2 = V_i^2 + 2a (ΔX)
V_f^2 = (12.0 m/s)^2 + 2(9.80 m/s^2) (20 m)
V_f^2 = (144 m^2/s^2) + (19.6 m/s^2) (20 m)
V_f^2 = (144 m^2/s^2) + (392 m^2/s^2)
V_f^2 = (536 m^2/s^2)
V_f = 23.15167381 m/s
V_f = 23 m/s
Therefore the velocity of the stone as it reaches the water is approximately 23 m/s. Since the pebble was thrown straight upward with the same speed so that it misses the edge of the bridge on the way back down and falls into the river, I know that if the pebble is projected upwards in a vertical direction, then the velocity at which it is projected is equal in magnitude and opposite in sign to the velocity it has when it returns to the same height. That is, a pebble projected vertically with an upward velocity of +12 m/s will have a downward velocity of –12 m/s when it returns to that same height. So the velocity of the pebble before it reaches the water is 12 m/s. right?

(b) *AVERAGE VELOCITY*= ΔX/Δt

STONE
Xf = 20 m Vxf = 23 m/s Vxi=12.0 m/s ax=9.80m/s2 Xi = 0 m t=?

V_xf = V_xi + a_x t V_avg= ΔX/Δt
23 m/s = 12.0 m/s + (9.80 m/s^2) t V_avg= 20m/1.12244898 s
23 m/s – 12.o m/s = (9.80 m/s^2) t V_avg= 17.81818181 m/s
11 m/s = (9.80 m/s^2) t V_avg= 17.81 m/s
t = 11 m/s / 9.80 m/s^2

t = 1.12244898 s
t = 1.12 s

I AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING TIME FOR THE PEBBLE SO I CANT FIGURE OUT THE AVERAGE VELOCITY WITHOUT TIME.

PEBBLE
X_f = 20 m V_xf = 12.0 m/s V_xi=12.0 m/s a_x=9.80m/s2 X_i = 0 m t=?

V_xf = V_xi + a_x t V_avg= ΔX/Δt
12.0 m/s = 12.0 m/s + (9.80 m/s^2) t V_avg= 20 m/ o s
12.0 m/s – 12.0 m/s= (9.80 m/s^2) t V_avg=
0 m/s = (9.80 m/s^2) t
0 m/s / 9.80 m/s2 = t
t = 0 s
?
how can t be zero and how am i suppose tocalculate velocity now PLEASE HELP ME

Physics news on Phys.org
Can Someone Pleasse Help Me I am Gonna Be Staying Up All Nihgt Trying Tofigure This Out

Faiza said:
Q40. A boy stands at the edge of a bridge 20.0 m above a river and throws a stone straight down with a speed of 12.0 m/s. He throws another pebble straight upward with the same speed so that it misses the edge of the bridge on the way back down and falls into the river. For each stone find (a) the velocity as it reaches the water and (b) the average velocity while it is in flight.Note: Ignore the affects of air resistance.
(a) X= 20 m a=9.80m/s2

Therefore the velocity of the stone as it reaches the water is approximately 23 m/s.
Since the pebble was thrown straight upward with the same speed so that it misses the edge of the bridge on the way back down and falls into the river, I know that if the pebble is projected upwards in a vertical direction, then the velocity at which it is projected is equal in magnitude and opposite in sign to the velocity it has when it returns to the same height. That is, a pebble projected vertically with an upward velocity of +12 m/s will have a downward velocity of –12 m/s when it returns to that same height. So the velocity of the pebble before it reaches the water is 12 m/s. right?
No. Its downward velocity AT THE HEIGHT OF THE BRIDGE is 12 m/s. You took the downward direction positive. The situation with the pebble is the same as it was for the stone. Both have the same velocity at the same height, so the final velocity must be the same, too.

(b) *AVERAGE VELOCITY*= ΔX/Δt?

Yes. You know ΔX and you know some formulas for constant acceleration:
vf=vi+a*t , xf=xi+vi*t+0.5*a*t^2 or xf-xi=0.5 (vf+vi)*t.

I AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING TIME FOR THE PEBBLE SO I CANT FIGURE OUT THE AVERAGE VELOCITY WITHOUT TIME.

PEBBLE
X_f = 20 m V_xf = 12.0 m/s V_xi=12.0 m/s a_x=9.80m/s2 X_i = 0 m t=?

vf=23 m/s, vi=-12 m/s (it was thrown upward, and you took downward as the positive direction).

Use xf-xi=0.5 (vf+vi)*t to find t. (20=0.5*(-12+23)t ---->t=3.636 s, V_avg= ΔX/Δt=20/3.636=5.5 m/s)

ehild

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of only gravity. In free fall, the object is not experiencing any other forces, such as air resistance.

2. What is the acceleration of an object in free fall?

The acceleration of an object in free fall is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This value is often denoted as "g" and is the same for all objects in free fall, regardless of their mass.

3. How is the velocity of an object in free fall calculated?

The velocity of an object in free fall can be calculated using the formula v = g*t, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time in seconds. This formula assumes that the object starts from rest.

4. What is the relationship between time and distance in free fall?

In free fall, the distance an object travels is directly proportional to the square of the time it has been falling. This can be expressed as d = 1/2*g*t², where d is the distance and t is the time. This means that as time increases, the distance traveled also increases, but at a faster rate.

5. How does air resistance affect free fall?

As an object falls through the air, it experiences air resistance, which is a force that opposes its motion. This force increases as the object's velocity increases. In the presence of air resistance, the acceleration of an object in free fall is not constant and decreases over time. This is why objects eventually reach a maximum velocity, known as terminal velocity, when falling through the air.