1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free fall due to gravity

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was given a problem to solve for the speed of a body falling under gravity [equation (1)] where g is acceleration due to gravity, which was easy enough.. but then i thought i would extend it to the case where g is non-constant, and so arrived at equation (2), (where where z is the height above earth [z'=dz/dt and z=dv/dt and z^-2 means z to power -2], and M is the mass of the earth and G is the gravitational constant)

2. Relevant equations

(1) : dv/dt = - g - kv

(2) : z'' + kz' + GMz^-2 = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe this is a non-linear second order DE?? i attempted to solve by setting

z'' + kz' = 0

and solving the complimentary equation, which was OK, but when i came to solve for the particular integral

z'' + kz' = -GMz^-2

i ran into problems, as after substituting in the D and Q operators (http://silmaril.math.sci.qut.edu.au/~gustafso/mab112/topic12/ [Broken]), i could not use the First Shift Theorem, as the RHS is not in an exponential form...

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but rather than get into that let's look at your first order equation for [itex]v[/itex].

Do the following.

1.) Show that [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dz}[/itex].
    2.) Insert [itex]g=\frac{GM}{z^2}[/itex] into the equation.
    3.) Find an integrating factor that makes this equation exact (it can be done).
    4.) Solve.

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no "complementary equation" nor is there a "particular integral". Those are both concepts in linear differential equations where the non-homogeneous part is a function of the independent variable only.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook