1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Fall Gravity Question

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Free Fall Gravity Question

question below
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2
    Vf does not equal 0, it equals -Vi.
    The easiest way to look at it is that In free fall the object spends the same amount of time going up as it does going down. Also note that when the object is at the top of its path v=0.
    So we know that it is in the air for 3 seconds, therefore at 1.5 seconds it is at its maximum height and v=0.
    the change in velovity is 5-0=5 and the accel is 5/1.5 = 3.333m/s^2
  4. Nov 5, 2007 #3
    ok thanks....on another note, how would you figure out an equation from say a helicopter which is 30m in the air and is throw up at 20m/s?
  5. Nov 5, 2007 #4
    an equation to find what, the acceleration?
  6. Nov 5, 2007 #5
    since i dont know the Distance of the obj.'s path (30+d) how would i go about figuring it out?
  7. Nov 5, 2007 #6
    well im looking for velocity of the obj when it hits the ground, and the time as well, and i just assumed i needed to know the distance
  8. Nov 5, 2007 #7
    to do that you can use that fact that the object is moving at the same speed but opposite direction when it passes the same height on the way back down from it hieght. For example if a ball is thrown up at 5m/s when it passes the height that the thrower released it at it will be moving at 5 m/s down. So for the helicopter use the initial velocity that the ball is thrown up at in vf=vi+at
  9. Nov 5, 2007 #8
    k got it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?