1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free fall motion from airplane

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A package is dropped at time t = 0 from a helicopter that is ascending steadily at a speed vi.
    What is the speed of the package in terms of V[itex]_{i}[/itex], g, and t?

2. Relevant equations

V (t) = V[itex]_{o}[/itex] + -9.8 t

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought it was the same as the normal equation for velocity such as stated above but with the different variables substituted for example:

|V| = V[itex]_{i}[/itex] + gt

except i got the answer wrong, then i tried putting a negative sign on the v[itex]_{i}[/itex] part but still got it wrong...help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

You are close. Speed is |v(t)|. Try putting the magnitude bars around your expression for v(t).

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    the magnitude bars are already there on the online hw, only the stuff to the right of the "=" sign is what i'm able to input....

nvm i see what your saying....but there was another part of the question in which the plane was descending and asked the same question and i got it right without putting the '|' around v(t)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  5. Sep 15, 2012 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try

|V| = |Vi - gt|

or

|V| = |gt - Vi|

6. Sep 15, 2012 #5
    tried both but neither worked...i really think it is just the stupid website that i have to do the hw on but i'm all out of chances so doesn't matter now lol thanks for the suggestions though

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook