1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Fall Motion

1. Aug 30, 2004 #1
    A ball is thrown horizontally from a height of 15.75 m and hits the ground with a speed that is 5.0 times its initial speed. What was the initial speed?

I thought you might have to find time and I got t=1.79s, but after that I cannot seem find my way to the answer

Thanks to whom ever can help me out,

Eleet
    Shaun

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The fact that the ball is thrown horizontally tells you that the vertical (y) component of the initial velocity is zero. So the initial velocity is purely x-component. Find the vertical component of the final velocity considering that the ball falls the given distance. (Hint: use a kinematic equation relating speed and distance for accelerated motion.)

4. Aug 30, 2004 #3
    ??

I do not know if this right but I found:
    Vf=17.58m/s
    by using Vf^2=2ad.

Than how do I use this to find initial velocity horizontally. Or is that it?

5. Aug 30, 2004 #4
    the initial velocity will be what ever it is, this same velocity is also part of the final.

so [itex] \Vec {V_f}: [V_x,V_y] = 5\Vec {V_i}: [V_x,0] [/itex]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  6. Aug 30, 2004 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be careful! That's 5 times the speed - not velocity! :-)

7. Aug 30, 2004 #6
    right, but the initial speed is a velocity with only one component, namely the x
    But I did put them in the wrong order

8. Aug 30, 2004 #7

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

More to the point: [tex]v_x^2+v_y^2 = 25 v_x^2[/tex]

9. Aug 31, 2004 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What you found is the y-component of the final velocity. Good! The final velocity has two components: [itex]v_x[/itex] (which is just the initial speed) and [itex]v_y[/itex] (which you just found).

Now apply what was given in the problem statement: that the final speed is 5 times the initial speed. Tide gives you the formula:
    Note that the initial speed is [itex]v_x[/itex], which is what you're trying to find.

Do you understand how Tide got his formula?

10. Aug 31, 2004 #9
    undefinedundefinedI got it. :biggrin:

we know height so we need to use this formula:

(5Vo)^2=Vo^2+ g2h
    >>> Subtract out the Vo^2
    >>>>24Vo^2=2gh
    >>>>>Vo^2=2gh /2

then, Vo=3.6m/s :laughing:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?