1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free-fall of a ball

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A red ball is thrown down with an initial speed of 1.3 m/s from a height of 26 meters above the ground. The force of gravity due to the earth results in the balls each having a constant downward acceleration of 9.81 m/s2.

What is the speed of the red ball right before it hits the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    x = 26 - 1.3t - 4.905t^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get how to do this problem, but I wasn't able to get the correct answer the first time when I did it completely mathematically. Can someone check where I'm going wrong in this work?

We need to find the time that the ball hits the ground --> set x = 0
    0 = 26 - 1.3t - 4.905t^2
    -26 = -1.3t - 4.905t^2
    -26 = (-1.3 - 4.905t)*t
    t = 0,
    -4.905t = -24.7
    t = 5.03 seconds

I don't know where I'm going wrong to get that t = 5.03 seconds, when the answer is 2.17 seconds (by using a calculator and plotting the zeroes). Is it wrong to solve the quadratic like this when solving for the roots?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##-26 = t(-1.3-4.905 t)## you cannot have ##t = 0##. If you set ##t = 0## you get right-hand-side = 0 (because 0 times anything = 0), but left-hand-side = -26, and 26 ≠ 0.
    So, yes, it is very wrong indeed to solve quadratic equations that way!

Why don't you just use the familiar quadratic equation roots formula?

4. Jan 19, 2016 #3
    Yeah I guess I just confused that approach with solving the time for when x = some number. Thanks for pointing that out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted