1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Fall of Rock off Tower

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rock is thrown vertically upward with a speed of 17.0 from the roof of a building that is 60.0 above the ground. Assume free fall. In how many seconds after being thrown does the rock strike the ground?

2. Relevant equations

I used v^2 = vinitial^2 + 2a(y - yinitial) to find the speed when it hits the ground. I am trying to find the time and can't seem to locate a good equation to use.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

From your initial and final v's, you could get the time with Vf = Vi + a*t.
    Or start again and use good old y = Vi*t + ½at².
    Best to do it both ways as a check!

4. Jan 29, 2012 #3
    I used Vf = Vi + a*t with Vf = 38.3, Vi = 17, a = 9.8 and came up with t = 2.17 but that is the incorrect answer for when the rock hits the ground. The rock went up at a starting point of 60m, then came down past 60m to hit the ground.

5. Jan 29, 2012 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I got a time of just over 5 and a half seconds by both methods. Of course I often make mistakes now - I'm over 60. Show your calc if you want a critique.

6. Jan 29, 2012 #5
    t = (vf - vi)/a so (38.3-17)/9.8 unless i used the wrong formula

7. Jan 29, 2012 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Initial v is 17. Final v is -38.3. Difference is 55.3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook