Calculating Stone Distance and Speed: Kinematics Problem Help

In summary, the problem involves two stones being dropped from a high building and determining the distance between them when the second stone reaches a speed of 11.0 m/s. Using kinematics, the first stone's displacement at 11m/s is calculated to be 6.17 m. To find the displacement of the second stone, the time when it reaches 11m/s must be calculated first.
lostfan176

Homework Statement

A stone is dropped from the roof of a high building. A second stone is dropped 1.50 s later. How far apart are the stones when the second one has reached a speed of 11.0 m/s?

Homework Equations

kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

i need help setting up the problem i don't know how

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, work out the displacement of the first stone when it reaches 11m/s, then the displacement of the second stone at this time.

i got the displacement of the first one as 6.17 m how do i get the second one?

There's no way I can tell you you're right or not if I don't see your work! Try calculating the time when the stone reaches 11m/s. Then you can perhaps find the displacement of the second stone at this time.

1. What is free fall of stones?

Free fall of stones is a phenomenon that occurs when an object, in this case a stone, is falling under the sole influence of gravity. This means that there are no other forces acting on the stone, such as air resistance or friction.

2. What causes free fall of stones?

The only force that is acting on a stone in free fall is gravity. This force is constantly pulling the stone towards the center of the Earth, causing it to accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

3. How is the speed of a stone in free fall calculated?

The speed of a stone in free fall can be calculated using the formula v = gt, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time the stone has been falling.

4. Does the mass of the stone affect its free fall?

No, the mass of the stone does not affect its free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate due to gravity. This is known as the equivalence principle.

5. Can a stone ever stop in free fall?

No, a stone will not stop in free fall unless acted upon by an outside force. This is because gravity is constantly pulling the stone towards the ground, causing it to accelerate. However, the stone's velocity may decrease if it encounters air resistance or hits the ground.