What is the height of the cliff?

In summary, the farmer was able to determine the height of the cliff by throwing two rocks at different times. By using kinematics equations and a calculator, the intersection point of the two rocks was found to be at a height of 25.02 m after 2.26 seconds.
adidab12
1. To determine how high a cliff is, a llama farmer drops a rock, and then 0.800 s later, throws another rock straight down at a velocity of −10.0 m/s. Both rocks land at the same time. How high is the cliff?

2. I know some kinematics equations must be used

3. I am stumped because I don't know the final velocity the height or the time just the difference in time between the two

Physics news on Phys.org
adidab12 said:
1. To determine how high a cliff is, a llama farmer drops a rock, and then 0.800 s later, throws another rock straight down at a velocity of −10.0 m/s. ]

What is your sign convention? Why the velocity is negative?

i don't know what you mean by sign convention but velocity is negative because it is traveling downwards

adidab12 said:
i don't know what you mean by sign convention but velocity is negative because it is traveling downwards

In that case, what is the direction of acceleration due to gravity, g?

d=d0+v*t+1/2at2
d=d0+v*(t-.800s)+1/2a(t-.800s)2

First rock,
d0=0
V=0
a=9.81
d=1/2at2

Second rock,
d0=0
d=10m/s*(t-.800s)+1/2*9.81*(t-.800)2

I used calculator to find when these to intersect.
y1=1/2at2
y2=10m/s*(t-.800s)+1/2*9.81*(t-.800)2
Calc->Intersect
I got x =2.26sec y = 25.02 m

1. What is the Rock Drop Free Fall Problem?

The Rock Drop Free Fall Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the distance, velocity, and acceleration of a rock dropped from a certain height in a vacuum. This problem is often used to demonstrate the principles of free fall and gravity.

2. How do I solve the Rock Drop Free Fall Problem?

To solve the Rock Drop Free Fall Problem, you can use the equation d=0.5gt^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds. Simply plug in the values given in the problem and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Rock Drop Free Fall Problem?

The Rock Drop Free Fall Problem assumes that the rock is dropped in a vacuum, meaning there is no air resistance. It also assumes that the acceleration due to gravity is constant and that there are no external forces acting on the rock.

4. How does air resistance affect the Rock Drop Free Fall Problem?

In real-life situations, air resistance can significantly affect the outcome of the Rock Drop Free Fall Problem. As air resistance increases, the acceleration of the rock decreases, resulting in a longer time for the rock to fall and a shorter distance traveled. This is why the problem is often solved in a vacuum.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Rock Drop Free Fall Problem?

The Rock Drop Free Fall Problem is used in many real-life applications, such as designing parachutes and calculating the trajectory of falling objects. It is also used in sports, such as skydiving and bungee jumping, to ensure safety and proper timing. In addition, the principles involved in this problem are crucial in understanding the laws of motion and gravity.