How Fast Must the Rock Be Thrown to Reach the Naturalist?

In summary: In this case, because we are specifically looking for the minimum initial speed, I would calculate the velocity needed to reach the height of the cliff, and subtract 10 from that value to find the minimum initial speed the rock would need.
kalupahana
Free fall, problem, please help

Homework Statement

A hoist is lifting a naturalist to the top of a cliff at 2.03 m/s vertically. The naturalist suddenly realizes she has left her pet rock behind. A friend picks it up and tosses it straight upward. If the naturalist is 2.50 m above her friend, what is the minimum initial speed the pet rock must have to reach the naturalist?
(consider gravitational acceleration as 10ms-2 & air resistance negligible)

Homework Equations

s = ut + ½ at2
v= u + at
v2 = u2 + 2as

Here u is initial velocity & v is final velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

The information of problem as follows
....The hoist......pet rock
u ....2.03....... ?
v...2.03....... ?
s ...2.5 + x......2.5 + x
t ...?....... ?
a...non.......-10

the both time & displacement should be equal

So the displacement of hoist
2.5 + x

The get minimum initial velocity the final velocity should be 0.
v = u + at
0 = u - 10t
t = u/10

the u is equal to

v2 = u2 + 2as
u2 = 20(2.5+x)

the displacement is equal to

s = ut + ½ at2

2.5 + x = ut - 5t2

from here i don't have any idea, please help me.

What is the time of hoist when pet rock reach

2.5 + x = 2.03t
t = (2.5 + x)/2.03

or

x = 2.03t
t = x/2.03

which one i should take

Physics news on Phys.org

Well I would try to use conservation of energy.

When the naturalist is at the height 2.50m she is traveling at 2.03m/s, so she has a total energy associated with that. Now in order for the rock to reach that high, it must be imparted with kinetic energy equal to her total energy at that height.

If you're looking for the absolute minimum initial velocity, then at the end its velocity will be zero because at the apex of its flight the rock will be stationary for a split second where the naturalist can grab it.

rock.freak667 said:
Well I would try to use conservation of energy.

When the naturalist is at the height 2.50m she is traveling at 2.03m/s, so she has a total energy associated with that. Now in order for the rock to reach that high, it must be imparted with kinetic energy equal to her total energy at that height.

WOW!
I had previously approached the prob a bit like kalupahana(and got the answer) did but this is much better!
Thanks!

The legend said:
WOW!
I had previously approached the prob a bit like kalupahana(and got the answer) did but this is much better!
Thanks!

Normally, for these kinds of problems, I try to use conservation of energy unless I am directly asked to find a time parameter.

What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity, where the only force acting on the object is the force of gravity. In free fall, the object is accelerating towards the ground at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

What is the acceleration of an object in free fall?

The acceleration of an object in free fall is always 9.8 meters per second squared, regardless of the mass or size of the object. This value is also known as the acceleration due to gravity.

How is the distance traveled in free fall calculated?

The distance traveled in free fall can be calculated using the equation d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

What is the difference between free fall and terminal velocity?

In free fall, the object is accelerating towards the ground at a constant rate. However, as the object falls, it will eventually reach its terminal velocity, which is the maximum velocity it can reach due to air resistance. At this point, the object is no longer accelerating and will continue to fall at a constant speed.

What is the impact of air resistance on free fall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on free fall. As the object falls, it will experience an upward force due to air resistance, which can slow down its acceleration. This is why objects with different sizes and shapes will fall at different rates, as they experience different amounts of air resistance.