Calculate Cliff Height: Free-Fall Problem with Rock Dropped from a Cliff

• Thread starter iMAGICIALoTV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Free-fall
In summary, to find the height of the cliff, you can use the equation d = Vot + at²/2 and solve for the time it takes to attain a velocity of 1/3 of the total distance in free fall. Alternatively, you can set up two equations using the distance formula and solve for both the time and the height of the cliff.
iMAGICIALoTV
A rock dropped from a cliff falls one-third of its total distance to the ground in the last second of its fall. How high is the cliff?

I'm not asking for answer, I know the Physics Forum rules, but I am totally unsure where to start. I guess I have to use the equation d = Vot + at²/2 ?

Could you please give me a hand and help me figure it out, please. Hints is all I need. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lemme try

you are given initial velocity =0
acceleration is 10/9.8m/s2
let total height be h
and time taken to cover full length be t+1 sec

now find distance traveled is t seconds and then find it for t+1 sec

then u get 2 equations involving time and height

solve for answers...

Why t+1, though?

now distance traveled in last sec is known

so u can take total time as t and 1 sec before time time as t-1

or

u can take total time as t+1 and 1 sec before time as t

Or just solve for V_0 with d = 1/3 h and t = 1 s. Then go back and solve for the time it takes to attain that velocity in free fall.

h = 1/2*g*t^2 --------(1)
h - h/3 = 1/2*g*(t - 1)^2 -------(2)
Divide 1 by 2 and solve for t. Hence find h.

What is the Free-Fall Problem?

The Free-Fall Problem is a physics problem that deals with the motion of an object as it falls freely under the influence of gravity. It is often used to demonstrate the laws of motion and gravity.

What are the key factors affecting free-fall?

The key factors affecting free-fall are the initial velocity of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time it takes for the object to fall.

What is the equation for calculating free-fall?

The equation for calculating free-fall is d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance traveled, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the object has been falling.

Can the Free-Fall Problem be applied to all objects?

Yes, the Free-Fall Problem can be applied to all objects as long as they are falling freely under the influence of gravity and there are no other external forces acting on them.

How does air resistance affect free-fall?

Air resistance can affect free-fall by slowing down the rate of acceleration and the speed at which the object falls. This is because air resistance creates an opposing force on the object, counteracting the force of gravity.