1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free-fall problem

1. Sep 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball thrown up falls back down in front of a window from where an observer sees the ball for a total of 0.5 seconds. The window is 2 m. tall. What is the maximum height of the ball?

2. Relevant equations
    1D Kinematic equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    YGHmW.png

I got that initial velocity from the bottom of the window by using [tex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)[/tex].

I set the seconds to 0.25 since 0.5 is the total, and -9.8 for the acceleration of gravity.

Then I plugged all of that back into [tex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)[/tex] by setting V^2 = 0 because the velocity at the highest point is 0, V_0 is the previously found initial velocity, accleration is -9.8 again, and x - x_0 is the unknown. I got 1.88 m., which is obviously wrong because the window itself is 2m. But I guess it could be the answer, but I'm not sure. It doesn't look right.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2
    How did you get the initial velocity from this?

4. Sep 13, 2012 #3
    Take maximum height as the starting point where the ball being dropped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook