Max Height of Ball Thrown Up in 0.5 Seconds at 2m Window

• Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Free-fall
In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum height of a ball thrown up and falling back down in front of a 2 m tall window. The solution involves using 1D kinematic equations and setting the time to 0.25 seconds and the acceleration to -9.8. The initial velocity is found using the equation V^2 = V_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0). However, the final answer of 1.88 m may not be correct.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

A ball thrown up falls back down in front of a window from where an observer sees the ball for a total of 0.5 seconds. The window is 2 m. tall. What is the maximum height of the ball?

Homework Equations

1D Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

YGHmW.png

I got that initial velocity from the bottom of the window by using [tex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)[/tex].

I set the seconds to 0.25 since 0.5 is the total, and -9.8 for the acceleration of gravity.

Then I plugged all of that back into [tex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)[/tex] by setting V^2 = 0 because the velocity at the highest point is 0, V_0 is the previously found initial velocity, accleration is -9.8 again, and x - x_0 is the unknown. I got 1.88 m., which is obviously wrong because the window itself is 2m. But I guess it could be the answer, but I'm not sure. It doesn't look right.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhizKid said:
I got that initial velocity from the bottom of the window by using [tex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)[/tex].

How did you get the initial velocity from this?

Take maximum height as the starting point where the ball being dropped.

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height of a ball thrown up in 0.5 seconds at a 2m window?

The formula for calculating the maximum height of a ball thrown up in 0.5 seconds at a 2m window is h = (1/2)gt^2, where h is the maximum height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2), and t is the time (0.5 seconds).

2. How do you measure the maximum height of a ball thrown up in 0.5 seconds at a 2m window?

The maximum height of a ball thrown up in 0.5 seconds at a 2m window can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. Place the measuring tool at the starting point of the ball's trajectory and measure the distance from the ground to the highest point reached by the ball.

3. Can the maximum height of a ball thrown up in 0.5 seconds at a 2m window be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the maximum height of a ball thrown up in 0.5 seconds at a 2m window. In a real-life scenario, the ball will experience air resistance which will cause it to lose some of its energy and not reach the calculated maximum height.

4. How does the mass of the ball affect the maximum height when thrown up in 0.5 seconds at a 2m window?

The mass of the ball does not affect the maximum height when thrown up in 0.5 seconds at a 2m window. According to the formula, the maximum height depends on the acceleration due to gravity and the time, but not the mass of the ball.

5. Is there a difference in the maximum height of a ball thrown up in 0.5 seconds at a 2m window on Earth and on the moon?

Yes, there is a difference in the maximum height of a ball thrown up in 0.5 seconds at a 2m window on Earth and on the moon. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is different on Earth (9.8m/s^2) and on the moon (1.6m/s^2).