Free Fall quadratic equation problem

In summary, the use of the negative sign in solving for the final value in this problem is based on the physical constraint that time is positive. The quadratic formula gives both positive and negative solutions, but the correct answer is determined by the context of the problem. In this case, since the desired value is time, the positive solution is used. This is because extending the parabola in the drawing to the left would result in a negative time, which is not applicable in this situation.
aron silvester
The answer based on the answer key is 3 seconds. I used the quadratic equation to solve for t. My question is how do we know what sign to use when solving for the final value? For this problem, I had to use the negative sign, but I knew that I needed to use the negative sign because I already know the final answer. Using the plus sign would give me 3.4 seconds.

IMG_1621.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
aron silvester said:
Using the plus sign would give me 3.4 seconds
Using the plus sign gives you -3.4 seconds. Since you are looking for a positive value of time, you need to use the sign which gives a positive answer.

The reason the negative time solution exists is because if you extend the shape of the parabola in your drawing to the left past the origin, the parabola will intercept the t-axis again at a negative time. The quadratic formula gives you both points where the parabola intersects the t-axis and you need to select which answer to use based on physical constraints. In this case, the constraint is that time is positive.

aron silvester said:
The answer based on the answer key is 3 seconds. I used the quadratic equation to solve for t. My question is how do we know what sign to use when solving for the final value? For this problem, I had to use the negative sign, but I knew that I needed to use the negative sign because I already know the final answer. Using the plus sign would give me 3.4 seconds.

View attachment 211594
All schoolwork/homework questions like this need to be posted in the Homework Help forums, and you need to fill out the Template you are provided there when starting a new schoolwork thread.

Please re-post there -- this thread is locked.

1. What is a "free fall quadratic equation problem"?

A free fall quadratic equation problem involves calculating the vertical distance an object travels when dropped or thrown from a certain height, assuming the only force acting on it is gravity. This can be represented by the equation d = (1/2)gt^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is time.

2. How do you solve a free fall quadratic equation problem?

To solve a free fall quadratic equation problem, you need to plug in the values for distance (d), acceleration due to gravity (g), and time (t) into the equation d = (1/2)gt^2. Then, solve for the unknown variable using algebraic steps. It is important to make sure all units are consistent (e.g. using meters for distance and seconds for time) before solving the equation.

3. What is the significance of g in a free fall quadratic equation problem?

The acceleration due to gravity (g) is a constant value that represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the ground when dropped or thrown. In a free fall quadratic equation problem, g is used to calculate the distance an object travels in a specific amount of time, assuming the only force acting on it is gravity.

4. Are there any assumptions made in a free fall quadratic equation problem?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made in a free fall quadratic equation problem. The first is that the object is moving in a straight line and not affected by air resistance. The second is that the only force acting on the object is gravity. Additionally, the acceleration due to gravity is assumed to be constant throughout the object's motion.

5. Can a free fall quadratic equation problem be used for objects thrown upwards?

Yes, a free fall quadratic equation problem can be used for objects thrown upwards, as long as the initial velocity of the object is taken into account. In this case, the initial velocity would be represented by a positive value in the equation, while the acceleration due to gravity would still be represented by a negative value.