Free Fall Homework: Distance Between Window & Building

In summary, a brick falls from the top of a building and drops past a 2.0 m tall window in 0.20 s. The distance between the top of this window and the top of the building is 17.59 m.
veronicak5678

Homework Statement

A brick falls from the top of a building and drops past a 2.0 m tall window in 0.20 s. Determine the distance between the top of this window and the top of the building.

Homework Equations

v^2 = (v initial)^2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

10 ^2 = 2(9.8)x

x= 5.102 m

Not at all sure if I used this formula correctly. Seems like the distance is too far.

Physics news on Phys.org
veronicak5678 said:

Homework Statement

A brick falls from the top of a building and drops past a 2.0 m tall window in 0.20 s. Determine the distance between the top of this window and the top of the building.

Homework Equations

v^2 = (v initial)^2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

10 ^2 = 2(9.8)x

x= 5.102 mNot at all sure if I used this formula correctly. Seems like the distance is too far.

Unfortunately, you can't just use the average Velocity like that.

[tex] v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x [/tex]

Because in this equation the

[tex] v^2 - v_0^2 [/tex]

is not the square of the average velocity. It is the difference in the squares of the velocities.

Perhaps you should start from the

[tex] v = v_0 + a t [/tex]

[tex]v_{bottom} = v_{top} + (9.8)*(.2) [/tex]

From the question you were given a time, so it is safe to assume you need a kinematic equation with time in it. You also need one with distance and you know acceleration is that of gravity. It is always useful to review what quantities you are given to see what is best to use.

So using v = v initial + at, I get 19.6 m/s. Do you mean that is the velocity at the bottom of the window?

veronicak5678 said:
So using v = v initial + at, I get 19.6 m/s. Do you mean that is the velocity at the bottom of the window?

Yes I did mean V at the bottom of the window.

But what I was suggesting was that you can exploit the relationship between Vtop and Vbottom to solve the other equations.

By substituting

[tex] v_{bottom} = v_{top} + a* t [/tex]

into

[tex] v_{bottom}^2 - v_{top}^2 = 2 a \Delta x [/tex]

That way you can solve for an actual Vtop and then the rest is easy.

OK. I used (18.57)^2 = 2(9.8) x to get x= 17.593 m. So the distance from the top of the building to the window top is 17.59 m.

Hi veronicak5678,

veronicak5678 said:
OK. I used (18.57)^2 = 2(9.8) x to get x= 17.593 m. So the distance from the top of the building to the window top is 17.59 m.

How did you get the speed of 18.57 m/s? That does not look right to me.

veronicak5678 said:

Sorry, I don't get that at all.

I used Vbottom = Vtop +(9.8)(.2) = Vtop + 1.96

Substituting then into

[tex] v_{bottom}^2 - v_{top}^2 = 2 a \Delta x[/tex]

[tex] (v_{top} + 1.96)^2 - v_{top}^2 = 2 (9.8) (2)[/tex]

The v2 cancels and you get a value for Vtop. Then you can use the same formula again but this time you solve for x which is your answer.

I see what you mean. I made a silly math mistake in a hurry. Thanks for helping!

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object when it is only affected by gravity. This means that there are no other forces acting on the object, such as air resistance or friction.

2. How is the distance between a window and a building calculated in free fall?

The distance between a window and a building can be calculated using the formula: d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time the object has been falling. This formula assumes that the object is dropped from rest and that there is no air resistance.

3. Can the distance between a window and a building be calculated if air resistance is present?

Yes, the distance between a window and a building can still be calculated if air resistance is present, but the formula used will be different. In this case, the distance can be calculated using the formula: d = v0t + 1/2 * a * t^2, where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the object has been falling.

4. How does the distance between a window and a building change if the object is thrown horizontally instead of dropped?

If the object is thrown horizontally, the distance between the window and the building will increase as the object will have a horizontal velocity in addition to its vertical velocity. This means that the object will travel further horizontally before reaching the ground.

5. What factors can affect the distance between a window and a building in free fall?

The distance between a window and a building can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity of the object, air resistance, and the shape and mass of the object. The distance will also vary depending on the location, as the acceleration due to gravity can differ slightly in different locations on Earth.