1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Fall Question

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    A ball is thrown upward with speed V. At the instant the ball is thrown, second ball is dropped from rest at a height H above the thrown ball, but not directly above it. Ignore air resistance. How much time elapses before the balls pass each other? Find a value of H such that the ball thrown upward is at its highest point when the dropped ball passes.
    For the first question, do I need to come up with an equation for both balls and set them equal to each other to find the time when they pass each other? It seems as if I would have two unknowns when I do this. And for the second question do I need to set the velocity equal to 0 to find when the ball reaches its highest point?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

For the 1st question, review the kinematics equations again. There is an equation where displacement is expressed as a function of: initial velocity, gravity, and time. By equating this displacement, you can then solve for the time.

For the 2nd question, you are right on!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?