1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free fall question

1. Aug 6, 2004 #1
    I'm really bad at physics so please excuse me. But I would like some help on this question. I would like to be able to solve it without plugging in any numbers untill the end.

If a person steps off a building of height h, and free falls on the way down to the bottom. What is the height of the building if he falls a distance of h/4 in his last 1 second of fall.

Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the relationship between distance fallen and time for a falling object?
  4. Aug 6, 2004 #3
    Is it[tex]t=\frac {2 \Delta x}{ v+v_0}[/tex]?

Then all I have to solve is
    [tex]\frac {h}{4} = \frac {1}{2}g \left(\frac {2 \Delta x}{ v+v_0} - 1 \right)^2 + v_0 \left(\frac {2 \Delta x}{ v+v_0}-1 \right)+h[/tex]

Where [tex]v_0=0, \Delta x = \frac {3h}{4}[/tex]. Am I correct?
  5. Aug 6, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your basic problem is:

[tex] x(t) = - \frac {g t^2} 2 + V_0 t + X_0 [/tex]

[tex] V_0 =0 [/tex]
    [tex] X_0 =h [/tex]

so you get an equation of motion as:
    [tex] x(t) = - \frac {g t^2} 2 + h [/tex]

Solve for t when x=0, this will give you an expression, call it T, for the time of the fall in terms of g and h. Now you know that

[tex] x(T-1) = \frac h 4 [/tex]

use this in your equation of motion to find h.
  6. Aug 6, 2004 #5
    Oh I see, ok thanks a lot.
  7. Aug 7, 2004 #6
    Alternatively you can use the four basic constant acceleration equations in a simultaneous equation i think.
  8. Aug 8, 2004 #7
    You could also solve this way:

let t = time it takes to fall.

since x = .5gt^2 (one of the general motion equations)

h = .5g(t^2)

.75h = .5g(t - 1)^2 (since time will be t-1 when it has fallen .75h)

just subtract one equation from another to get .25h = .5(t^2) - .5(t - 1)^2....and simplify to further get....

..... h/4 = 2g(2t - 1)....multiply by 4 to get:

h = 2g(2t - 1)...and set this back equal to:

.5g(t^2) = 2g(2t - 1).....this ends up becoming t^2 - 8t + 4 = 0....and then solve for t with the quadratic. Now that you know t, you can easily find h.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?