Free Fall Question: Calculate Velocity & Distance

In summary: For problem A, the speed after falling for 1.65s is positive because the ball is accelerating downward (in the direction of its initial velocity, which is negative) and after 1.65s it has gained a positive velocity in the downward direction. And yes, I was talking about problem C. In this case, you don't need to use the initial velocity of -6.35 m/s because the question is asking for the magnitude of the velocity (the absolute value, ignoring direction). So you can just use the formula v^2 = 2ad and solve for v. In summary, when solving problems involving motion, it is important to assign directions and stick with them consistently throughout the problem. Remember that
CellCoree
A student throws a water balloon vertically downward from the top of a building. The balloon leaves the thrower's hand with a speed of 6.35m/s . Air resistance may be ignored, so the water balloon is in free fall after it leaves the thrower's hand.

A.) What is its speed after falling for a time 1.65s ? Take the free fall acceleration to be g=9.80m/s^2 .

my work:
using formula: v(t) = v(0) + at
v(t) = (6.35) + (-9.8)(1.65) = -9.82

B.) How far does it fall in a time of 1.65s ? Take the free fall acceleration to be 9.80 m/s^2.

my work: x(t) = x(0) + v(0)t + 1/2at^2
x(0) = (6.35)(1.65) + 1/2(-9.8)(1.65)^2
x = 2.86

C.) What is the magnitude of its velocity after falling a distance 10.9m ? Take the free fall acceleration to be g=9.80 m/s^2.

my work:
v^2 = v(0)^2 + 2a(x-x(0))
v^2 = +2(-9.8)(10.9)
v= 14.616

ok, i got them all wrong. what am i doing wrong? i tried everything that i know and can't get it right, please help

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I can tell, you have the right workings, but you are using a wrong value for the acceleration - - - - Remember that in this case, the acceleration is acting in the same direction as the velocity.

This should fix up all of your problems

Last edited:
Since the ball is thrown downward it has a velocity of -6.35 and not 6.35, be sure to always check the direction. For the last part, don't forget that you begin with a velocity of -6.35 m/s.

Yes, or alternatively, you could use different values for your velocity

it's all about assigning direction

if you use -ve for gravity, then you must use -ve for velocity,
or you could make them both +ve.

tyco05 said:
Yes, or alternatively, you could use different values for your velocity

it's all about assigning direction

if you use -ve for gravity, then you must use -ve for velocity,
or you could make them both +ve.

what is -ve?

and why is the answer for problem A.) a positive answer? after inserting -6.35, i get a negative answer. so... why is the answer positive instead of negative?

"For the last part, don't forget that you begin with a velocity of -6.35 m/s"

are you talking about problem C.)?

if so would it be v^2 = (-6.35)^2 + 2(-9.8)(10.9)?

-ve = negative
+ve = positive

The answer can be either negative or positive, depending on how you define your directions. It doesn't matter (whether the direction of the motion is positive or negative) as long as you are consistent with your choice.
That is, if you are saying that your acceleration is negative (towards the ground) and the object is moving towards the ground, then the object's velocity also has to be negative. (as you have assigned negative motion to be motion towards the ground.)

You could just as easily assign motion towards the ground to be positive motion.
Just remember that your velocity is in the same direction as your acceleration in this problem.

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is a type of motion in which an object falls towards the ground under the sole influence of gravity. This means that the object is not being pushed or pulled by any other forces.

2. How do you calculate velocity in free fall?

In free fall, the velocity of an object can be calculated using the formula v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds. This formula assumes that the object is starting at rest and is falling straight down.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2 and is denoted by the letter g. This value represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the ground due to the force of gravity.

4. How do you calculate the distance in free fall?

The distance an object falls in free fall can be calculated using the formula d = 1/2gt^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time in seconds. This formula assumes that the object is starting at rest and is falling straight down.

5. Can an object reach a maximum velocity in free fall?

Yes, an object can reach a maximum velocity in free fall. This is known as terminal velocity and occurs when the force of air resistance on the falling object is equal to the force of gravity. At this point, the object will continue to fall at a constant speed, known as the terminal velocity.