1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Fall question

1. Jan 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When throwing a ball, a student has a friend time how long it takes the ball to reach the maximum height. Before they start the experiment, the friend predicts: “If you throw the ball faster, the ball will reach the highest point in less time.”
    Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why or why not?

If you disagree, how would you correct it?

2. No equations necessary

3. The attempt at a solution

I predicted that it would not reach the highest point in less time because gravity would be the only force acting on the ball once the ball leaves his hand. Help??

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you think if you threw it fast enough, then it wouldn't come down at all?

4. Jan 16, 2017 #3
    Obviously I do not believe that if you look at my predicted answer.

5. Jan 16, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why is gravity being the only force important? I don't see any logic in your answer.

What is the relationship between initial speed and time to reach the highest point?

6. Jan 16, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

His question is important. You stated in your OP that no equations are necessary. I suggest that you should indeed use equations to figure this one out. What is the equation for the time to maximum height based on initial vertical velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted