Free fall tennis ball problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a tennis ball hit at an angle of 30° below the horizontal from a height of 2 m, with an initial velocity of 5.0 m/s and neglecting air resistance. The steps taken to find the velocity of the ball when it hits the ground include calculating the horizontal and vertical components and summing them to get the resultant speed. The final answer may differ due to rounding errors, but the correct answer is 8.0.
luysion

Homework Statement

A tennis ball is hit down at
an angle of 30° below the horizontal from a height of 2 m. It
is initially traveling at 5.0 m s−1. What is the velocity of the
ball when it hits the ground if we can neglect air resistance?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so I actually attempted it and want to know if my answer is correct as the actual answer is 8.0 i got 8.3, is this just due to rounding errors or is my working wrong;

So I got the final horizontal and vertical components and sumed them to get the resultant/final speed of the ball.

so for the horizontal speed = cos 30deg x 5 = 4.33
for the initial vertical speed = sin 30deg x 5 = 2.5
final vertical speed = 7.5
then sqtr of 4.33^2 + 7.5^2 to give me 8.3
is this correct?

thanks to anyone that checks much appriciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, so you multiplied sin 30 * 5 and got 7.5? Are you sure that you put that into your calculator right? The sine of 30 should come out to be 0.5...

You also need to factor the acceleration due to gravity in there somehow. Or did you already put that in somehow with your 7.5 and just not write it?

Also, for it to be a complete velocity and not just a speed, you'd need to include the angle below the horizontal. ;) Hope this helps!

I'm not sure this is done right, but the actual work the way you did it yields 8.66. At least according to my TI-84

sorry i typed it wrong haha 7.5 is the final vertical velocity 2.5 is the initial

1. What is a free fall tennis ball problem?

A free fall tennis ball problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of a tennis ball as it falls freely under the influence of gravity. This problem assumes that there is no air resistance and that the only force acting on the ball is gravity.

2. How do you solve a free fall tennis ball problem?

To solve a free fall tennis ball problem, you need to use the equations of motion for constant acceleration, which are d = v0t + 1/2at2 and v = v0 + at. You also need to know the initial velocity of the ball, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time the ball is in the air.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s2, which describes the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth due to the force of gravity. This value is the same for all objects in free fall, regardless of their mass or weight.

4. How does the height from which the ball is dropped affect its motion?

The height from which the ball is dropped affects its motion because it determines the initial velocity of the ball. The higher the ball is dropped from, the greater the initial velocity, and therefore the longer the ball will take to fall and the farther it will travel horizontally.

5. What is the final velocity of a ball dropped from a certain height?

The final velocity of a ball dropped from a certain height can be calculated using the equation v = √(v02 + 2ad), where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the height from which the ball is dropped. However, if the height is not given, the final velocity can also be found using the equation v = gt, where t is the time the ball is in the air.