Solve ODE for Free Fall with Drag: Find v(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation that models the velocity of a sky diver. The equation is dv/dt = -9.8 + 0.0045Av^2, where A is the cross-sectional area. The person started by using separation of variables and then applied partial fractions to find the constants A and B. After applying the initial conditions, they found a mistake and corrected it to get the solution v(t) = (b/c) ((1 + e^x(t+y))/(1-e^x(t+y))), where x = -c/1565. They also discussed how to express the solution in terms of the hyperbolic tangent function, which would make it easier to integrate for future problems. They
tua96426

Homework Statement

Need to solve the differential equation which models the velocity of a sky diver.

Homework Equations

dv/dt = -9.8 + 0.0045Av^2 where A is cross sectional area (assume 0.75m^2)
v(0) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

ok the problem is to find v(t) as a function time. as they teach us any ODE class, I started with separation of vars and on the left i had (dv/0.0045Av^2 - 9.8) and dt on the right,
then integrate both sides. The right hand side just becomes t + y (constant of integration) and the left needs to be simplified first with partial fractions

I said let c =sqrt(0.0045A) and b= sqrt (9.8)
then we have dv/(cv)^2 - b^2 which is now a difference of perfect squares ..
so partial fractions: A/(cv - b) + B(cv+b)
getting common denominator we get Acv + Ab + Bcv - Bb = 1

so all vars together: Ac + Bc = 0 >>> A+B = 0 therefore A = -B

then looking at the constant terms, I get b(A-B) = 1 >>> A = 1/b + B
so equation the two equations for A we get B = -1/2b and A = 1/2b
B = -1.565 and A = 1.565

so now we have Integral of (1.565/cv-b) + (-1.565/cv-b) dv
making a u substitution: u = cv +/- b >> du = cdv >>> dv = du/c
so we have (-1.565/c)ln|cv-b|+ (-1.565.c)ln|cv+b| = t + y
taking 1.565/c common on the left and multiplying by c/1.565 on both sides.. and getting all ln into one, I got
ln |(cv-b)/(cv+b)| = (c/1.565)(t+y)
let x = -c/1565
so doing more of mumbo jumbo, i get
v(t) = (b/c) ((1 + e^x(t+y))/(1-e^x(t+y)))

some how after applying the initial conditions, I got y = 0, but when I plug in 0 for t after getting the unique soln for v(t), I do not get 0 for velocity; rather I end up dividing by 0..

I researched this on wiki and they have the answer in tanh, which my prof said is possible. I was wondering how to get it in that form.. infact if I am able to express it in tanh it becomes easier for me to do the following problems (need to integrate and so on and so forth) .. any help on this would be gr8 peeps!

thanks
- Sudhi

Physics news on Phys.org
i think it could be the way you set up the DE

the drag force should oppose velocity. As you're working with v^2 will need to define poitsive velocity downwards

so try

v' = g - cAv^2

Hi Sudhi, welcome to PF!:smile:

tua96426 said:
so doing more of mumbo jumbo, i get
v(t) = (b/c) ((1 + e^x(t+y))/(1-e^x(t+y)))

some how after applying the initial conditions, I got y = 0, but when I plug in 0 for t after getting the unique soln for v(t), I do not get 0 for velocity; rather I end up dividing by 0..

You seem to have made a slight error in your "mumbo jumbo" steps; you should be getting [tex]v(t)=\frac{b}{c}\left(\frac{1-e^{x(t+y)}}{1+e^{x(t+y)}}\right)[/tex]

Also, you could have very easily determined y just by plugging in t=0 and v=0 into ln |(cv-b)/(cv+b)| = (c/1.565)(t+y).

I researched this on wiki and they have the answer in tanh, which my prof said is possible. I was wondering how to get it in that form.. infact if I am able to express it in tanh it becomes easier for me to do the following problems (need to integrate and so on and so forth) .. any help on this would be gr8 peeps!

Use the definition of hyperbolic tangent:

[tex]\tanh(u)=\frac{e^u-e^{-u}}{e^u+e^{-u}}=\frac{1-e^{-2u}}{1+e^{-2u}}[/tex]

lanedance said:
i think it could be the way you set up the DE

the drag force should oppose velocity. As you're working with v^2 will need to define poitsive velocity downwards

so try

v' = g - cAv^2

The DE is fine, it assumes downwards corresponds to a negative v(t), and so the acceleration due to gravity is indeed downwards (-9.81) while the drag force is upwards (+.0045Av^2).

woops - my bad, sorry to send you on the wrong track

and as; for mumbo jumbo, i think you mix up a few negative signs early on

will make life easier as well if you write -t (ie put a negative on the t side) before combining the ln's or taking the exponentials - this is currently hidden in your x... i find its usually easiest to make constants positive as a convention

this will give you the equation starght away with something like a.(1-e^(-kt)) in the numerator so velocity starts at zero, accelerates quickly then heads towards a limiting velocity as the drag forces kick in

What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical systems and their behavior over time.

How does free fall with drag differ from regular free fall?

Free fall with drag takes into account the force of air resistance, also known as drag, on an object as it falls. This force opposes the direction of motion and can affect the object's velocity and acceleration.

What factors affect the velocity of an object in free fall with drag?

The velocity of an object in free fall with drag is affected by the object's mass, the force of gravity, the surface area of the object, and the density of the fluid (usually air) through which it is falling.

How can the ODE for free fall with drag be solved?

The ODE for free fall with drag can be solved using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method, which approximate the solution by dividing the time interval into smaller steps. It can also be solved analytically using advanced mathematical techniques.

What are the applications of solving the ODE for free fall with drag?

The ODE for free fall with drag can be applied in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and aerodynamics, to model the motion of objects falling through a fluid. It can also be used to design and test parachutes, skydiving equipment, and other devices that involve free fall with drag.