1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Fall with Viscous Friction

1. May 10, 2013 #1
    Hello, First post hear so bear with me.

I have a mass in free fall with a viscous friction which can be derived from the dissipative potential Kv2/2. I must find the Lagrangian and proove that the maximum speed is v=mg/K. I have the following Lagrangian:

L=T-V=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]\dot{y}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]-mgy-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]k[itex]\dot{y}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](m-k)[itex]\dot{y}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]-mgy

When I do the Euler-Lagrange:

[itex]\ddot{y}[/itex]=-mg/(m-k)

However, from this equation I cant proove that maximum velocity.

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2013 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I you sure "dissipative potential" was used in the question? Did you use the Euler-Lagrange equation that is appropriate for dissipative systems?

4. May 11, 2013 #3
    Hello, the question does say "Dissipative Potential". From what I've seen in class, if the force can be derived from a potential, the normal Euler-Lagrange equations are still valid. Therefore I used the following:

[itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}(m-k)\dot{y}^{2}-mgy[/itex]

Euler-Lagrange:

[itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial y}-\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{y}})=0[/itex]

And I get:

[itex]-mg-\frac{d}{dt}((m-k)\dot{y})=-mg-(m-k)\ddot{y}=0[/itex]

Finally:

[itex]\ddot{y}=\frac{-mg}{(m-k)}[/itex]

I think my problem is with the dissipative potential. How do I deal with it?

5. May 11, 2013 #4

Jano L.

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted