Calculating the Free Fall of Two Balls

In summary, the problem involves two balls being dropped from a height of 5m, with an acceleration due to gravity of 10 m/s^2. The question asks for the time elapsed during the fall, and the equation y=1/2at^2 can be used to solve for this. The same concept applies for horizontal and vertical motion, as long as the acceleration is constant.
Robdog

Homework Statement

Two ball are dropped from 5m high, Use 10 m/s^2 for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

Homework Equations

How do i start?

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure on how to start so i haven't attempted:(

Physics news on Phys.org
the problem asks how much time is elapsed during the fall of the 5.0m at a rate of 10m/s^2

Im sure there is an equation for this but i don't know which one or where to find it...

Last edited:
If something starts at rest, i.e. with zero velocity, how far does is travel in time, t, if the acceleration is constant.

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acons.html

The same concept applies for horizontal (x) or vertical (y) motion, provided the acceleration is constant.

so... y=1/2at^2... y equal to the hight of 5m? if so then i get 5m=1/2(10m/s^2)T^2 which = square root of 5.00s which = 2.24s? but the that answer is still wrong. What did i do wrong.

o nvm should be the square root of 1.00s... ill try that, wow i feel like an idiot... i need to sleep

Well - you figured it out. Do get some sleep, and refer to hyperphysics when the mind is more relaxed.

What is free fall?

Free fall is a term used in physics to describe the motion of an object under the influence of gravity alone. This means that the object is accelerating due to the force of gravity and is not being affected by any other forces, such as air resistance.

How is the free fall of two balls calculated?

The free fall of two balls can be calculated using the equations of motion for constant acceleration. These equations take into account the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the objects. By plugging in the values for these variables, the equations can be solved to determine the position, velocity, and time for each ball at any given point during their free fall.

What factors affect the free fall of two balls?

The main factor that affects the free fall of two balls is the acceleration due to gravity, which is constant near the surface of the Earth. Other factors that may have a minor effect include air resistance, the initial velocity of the balls, and the mass and shape of the balls.

Can the free fall of two balls be different?

Yes, the free fall of two balls can be different if they have different initial velocities, masses, or air resistance. However, if both balls are dropped from the same height with the same initial velocity and mass, they will have the same free fall.

What is the importance of calculating the free fall of two balls?

Calculating the free fall of two balls can help us understand the laws of motion and gravity. It can also be used in practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of objects in sports, engineering, and other fields that involve motion and gravity.