1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Fall

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two ball are dropped from 5m high, Use 10 m/s^2 for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Relevant equations

How do i start?

3. The attempt at a solution

not sure on how to start so i havent attempted:(

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    the problem asks how much time is elapsed during the fall of the 5.0m at a rate of 10m/s^2

Im sure there is an equation for this but i dont know which one or where to find it...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  5. Sep 25, 2007 #4

Astronuc

If something starts at rest, i.e. with zero velocity, how far does is travel in time, t, if the acceleration is constant.

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acons.html

The same concept applies for horizontal (x) or vertical (y) motion, provided the acceleration is constant.

6. Sep 25, 2007 #5
    so... y=1/2at^2... y equal to the hight of 5m? if so then i get 5m=1/2(10m/s^2)T^2 which = square root of 5.00s which = 2.24s??? but the that answer is still wrong. What did i do wrong.

7. Sep 25, 2007 #6
    o nvm should be the square root of 1.00s.... ill try that, wow i feel like an idiot... i need to sleep

8. Sep 25, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Well - you figured it out. Do get some sleep, and refer to hyperphysics when the mind is more relaxed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?