1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Fall

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball is thrown vertically upward with an initial velocity at the edge of the roof of a building which is 30m above the ground. The speed of the ball is 14.5 m/s when the ball is 12m above the ground. How long does the ball take to reach maximum height?

2. Relevant equations
    Vf^2=Vo^2+2ad

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, i use that equation to find distance between the highest point and 12 above ground. Then I plan to use it one more time to find the initial velocity. But the thing is that

I find d=-10.727m as the distance between highest point and 12 above ground. This doesn't make sense, shouldn't it be higher than 18m?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Thiendrah! :smile:

Show us your calculations, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    v2=u2+2aS

Use that equation for all the calculation 12m above the ground and then add 12m to your final result.

So obviously v=0 (as it reaches the top) u=14.5ms-1 a= -9.8ms-1 (If up is positive), and then solve for S and add 12m.

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4
    minifhncc, that's the same thing. You still get the same result.

0^2=14.5^2+2.(-9.8).S

S=10.727

10.727 + 12 = 22.727...

this doesn't make sense tho. The object is thrown vertically upward off a roof that's 30meters above the ground.

Am i doing anything wrong?

6. Sep 30, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Thiendrah! :smile:

No … you seem to be right.

I can't see any way out of this in the question …

the question specifically says that the initial velocity is vertical …

your formula is correct (you could also have used KE + PE = constant, with the same result) …

the question is wrong. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?