Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Free Fall

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball is thrown vertically upward with an initial velocity at the edge of the roof of a building which is 30m above the ground. The speed of the ball is 14.5 m/s when the ball is 12m above the ground. How long does the ball take to reach maximum height?

2. Relevant equations
    Vf^2=Vo^2+2ad

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, i use that equation to find distance between the highest point and 12 above ground. Then I plan to use it one more time to find the initial velocity. But the thing is that

I find d=-10.727m as the distance between highest point and 12 above ground. This doesn't make sense, shouldn't it be higher than 18m?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Thiendrah! :smile:

Show us your calculations, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    v2=u2+2aS

Use that equation for all the calculation 12m above the ground and then add 12m to your final result.

So obviously v=0 (as it reaches the top) u=14.5ms-1 a= -9.8ms-1 (If up is positive), and then solve for S and add 12m.

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4
    minifhncc, that's the same thing. You still get the same result.

0^2=14.5^2+2.(-9.8).S

S=10.727

10.727 + 12 = 22.727...

this doesn't make sense tho. The object is thrown vertically upward off a roof that's 30meters above the ground.

Am i doing anything wrong?

6. Sep 30, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Thiendrah! :smile:

No … you seem to be right.

I can't see any way out of this in the question …

the question specifically says that the initial velocity is vertical …

your formula is correct (you could also have used KE + PE = constant, with the same result) …

the question is wrong. :frown:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook