1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free fall

1. Nov 14, 2004 #1
    A stone is dropped off a cliff of height h. at the same instant a ball is thrown straight up from the base of the cliff with initial velocity (vi). assuming the ball is thrown hard enough, at what time t will stone and ball meet? (neglect air resistance)

I just don't even know how to approach this problem??? could someone help me??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2004 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Write the position of each object as a function of time, then set the two expressions equal to each other to solve for time. You should find that they are equal at time t = 0 (the trivial solution to the problem) and some other time that will be your answer. You can find the position of each using the same formula for motion of an object with constant acceleration provided you understand what each term in the formula means:

[tex] y(t) = y_o + v_{oy}t + \frac 1 2 at^2 [/tex]

4. Nov 14, 2004 #3

Diane_

Homework Helper

Small amendment - the stones don't start from the same place, so the trivial solution t = 0 won't be there. The technique suggested will, of course, still work.

5. Nov 15, 2004 #4

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's true. Thank you; I must have read the problem too fast.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?