1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free fall

1. Dec 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have got a ball of radius r, which is falling from the roof of the house. How is the radius r with respect to time? We are looking at the ball directly from above and ball is at the beginning of fall x from our eyes. Neglect air resistance.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure what to write here. So I think the nub is equation of free fall: s= 1/2gt^2 radius decreases quadratically

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, I know equation: s= 1/2gt^2
    I think the radius decreases quadratically, because t^2.
    I must attributed the x (s from eyes before free fall)
    And my equation: r(t)= r/(1/2gt^2 + x)

It is right? Thanks for help.

PS: Sorry for bad English, but I don't know better yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If r is the radius of the ball, I don't see any reason why it should decrease. Do you mean the visible angle for the observer?
    If the initial distance of the ball is large compared to the radius of the ball, your r(t) is an approximation for that angle.

Hmm... the original problem statement would be interesting - with translated words maybe ;).

4. Dec 30, 2012 #3
    No, no... How changing the radius of sight of the observer, when ball is falling free fall.

Hmmm... You don't interesting what I think? :-( Describe better?

5. Dec 30, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Numeriprimi! :smile:
    i agree with mfb :smile:

you seem to mean (half) the angle subtended at the eye, and your formula for r(t) confirms that (correctly, for small r) :wink:

6. Jan 5, 2013 #5
    So... Is my formula well?

7. Jan 5, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

your formula is good :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook