Calculating Time It Takes for Ball to be Overtaken

In summary, two ball bearings are dropped from rest - one from 3.5m below point A and another from 4.5m below point A. The first ball bearing overtakes the second one in 0.12 seconds. The distance fallen by the second ball bearing in that time is 0.070m. The equations used were d=1/2a(t)^2 and Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(Xf-Xi).
Cole07
A ball bearing is dropped from rest at point A. At the instant it passes mark 3.5m below A, another ball bearing is realeased from rest from a position of 4.5m below A. At what time after its release will the second ball bearing be overtaken by the first?

How far does the second ball bearing fall in that time?

I know i have 2 distances and it starts at rest so it doesn't have an intial velocity i also know all falling objects have an acceleration of -9.8 so i used the formula d=1/2a(t)^2 and i used 3.5 for d -9.8 for a and t is my unknown so what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
first thing you want to do is find the velocity of the first ball as it hits the 3.5m mark. To do that...

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(Xf-Xi) [Vf = final velocity; Vi = Initial velocity; (xf-xi) = displacement]
Vf^2 = 0 + 2(9.8 m/s^2)(3.5m - 0) will use the initial position as A
Vf = 8.282 m/s

So we know that the first ball is traveling at 8.282 m/s as soon as the 2nd ball is being dropped. Now consider your distance formulas.

Xf = Xi + ViT + 1/2aT^2

Xf = 3.5m + (8.282 m/s)T + 1/2(9.8 m/s^2)(T^2) - equation for first ball
Xf = 4.5m + (0) + 1/2(9.8 m/s^2)T^2 - equation for second ball

Now we have two equations and two unknowns (time and position). The time and position in both equations are the same, so a simple subtraction will give us the answer.

Xf = 3.5m + (8.282 m/s)T + 1/2(9.8 m/s^2)(T^2)
Xf = 4.5m + (0) + 1/2(9.8 m/s^2)T^2
---------------------------------------------------
0 = (-1m) + (8.282 m/s)T + 0
T = 1/8.182 m/s
T = .12 seconds

Now that you have the time you can figure out how far the second ball falls.

D = 1/2at^2 (this is only true when the ball is dropped from rest)
D = 1/2(9.8 m/s^2)(.12)^2
D = .070m

ok i get everything but what xf stands for and thanks for the help!

Xf = final position. Both balls will have the same final position so you can set their equations equal to each other (or subtract them)

The equation you use D = 1/2at^2 is similar

Xf = Xi + ViT + 1/2at^2 in my equation when you set the initial position to 0 and the initial velocity to zero you get...

Xf = 1/2at^2 which is the same thing as your equation.

Next time try to include all equations you believe have relevance to the problem so that I don't have to use my own notation which can be confusing.

Thank you for the help i got it !

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a ball to be overtaken?

To calculate the time it takes for a ball to be overtaken, you need to know the initial velocity of the ball, the velocity of the overtaking object, and the distance between the two objects. You can use the formula t = d / (v2 - v1), where t is the time, d is the distance, v1 is the initial velocity of the ball, and v2 is the velocity of the overtaking object.

2. What units should be used for the velocity and distance in the calculation?

The units used for velocity and distance should be consistent with each other. For example, if the distance is measured in meters, then the velocity should also be in meters per second. It is important to use consistent units to ensure accurate calculations.

3. Can this calculation be used for all types of objects?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of object as long as the initial velocity and the velocity of the overtaking object are known. However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes constant velocity and does not take into account factors such as acceleration or deceleration.

4. Is this calculation affected by external factors such as air resistance?

Yes, external factors such as air resistance can affect the accuracy of this calculation. If air resistance is significant, the actual time it takes for a ball to be overtaken may be longer than the calculated time. In such cases, it is important to factor in these external factors for a more accurate calculation.

5. How can this calculation be applied in real-life scenarios?

This calculation can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the time it takes for a car to overtake another car on a highway or the time it takes for a person to catch up to a friend who is walking ahead. It can also be used in sports, such as calculating the time it takes for a baseball to be caught by an outfielder running towards it or the time it takes for a runner to overtake another runner in a race.