Free Falling Bodies: Calculating Time for Wrecking Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses using a formula to find the time it takes for a wrecking ball to fall to the ground after the cable breaks. The formula used is t=vfinal-vinitial / g, with a value of -9.8 for acceleration and a time of 1.31 seconds. The conversation also mentions another formula, Xfinal=Xinitial + vt + 0.5at^2, and determining the initial velocity for an object at rest.
pookisantoki

Homework Statement

A wrecking ball is hanging at rest from a crane when suddenly the cable breaks. The time it takes for the ball to fall halfway to the ground is 1.31sex. Find the time it takes for the ball to fall from rest all the way to the ground.

I think the formula to use is t=vfinal-vinitial / g
But not sure what vfinal is to use this formula so I am stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey dude try using this formula: X=X+vt+0.5at^2 :biggrin:

with that formula
a=-9.8
t=1.31sec
where would the X come from??

Xfinal=Xinitial + vt + 0.5at^2. i believe you know Xinitial?

I believe the x initial is 0 and xfinal is .5 since it's half way but not sure how I would find "v" from the question so that I can find "t"

the v is vinitial so what should the initial velocity of something that is at rest be?

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a wrecking ball to fall?

The time it takes for a wrecking ball to fall can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height of the drop in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s².

2. What is a free falling body?

A free falling body is an object that is falling under the influence of gravity alone, with no other forces acting on it. This means that the only acceleration acting on the object is the acceleration due to gravity, which is constant.

3. How does air resistance affect the time for a wrecking ball to fall?

Air resistance can affect the time for a wrecking ball to fall by slowing down the acceleration due to gravity. This is because air resistance creates an opposing force that acts against the force of gravity, which can result in a longer falling time.

4. Can the mass of a wrecking ball affect its falling time?

Yes, the mass of a wrecking ball can affect its falling time. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier wrecking ball will have a faster falling time compared to a lighter one.

5. How does the height of the drop affect the falling time of a wrecking ball?

The height of the drop does affect the falling time of a wrecking ball. The higher the drop, the longer the falling time because the wrecking ball has a longer distance to travel before reaching the ground. This means that the higher the drop, the longer the wrecking ball will accelerate under the influence of gravity.