1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Falling Body in Vacuum

Tags:
  1. Oct 9, 2014 #1
    • Warning: The Posting Template must be used when startng a thread in the Homework areas
    Here is an unsettling question from a practice set that I've been working on today. Unsettling because the answer key contradicts my answer so I need a second thought.

A pingpong ball and a golf ball are dropped in a vacuum chamber from the same height and at the same time. When they have fallen halfway, they have the same

A. Potential energy
    B. Kinetic energy
    C. Acceleration
    D. Velocity

My answer is C. Acceleration since this is what I've learned from college physics. But the answer key says it is D. Velocity. So I'm quite confused.

Help me guys. Thank you in advance! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2014 #2
    I think there are two answers of this question.

4. Oct 9, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Both the accelerations and the velocities are the same.

ehild

5. Oct 9, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do not believe something just because you are told it - is there a good reason from the laws of physics to believe that C is correct?
    What are your reasons from physics for rejecting each one of the other answers?
    As you go through the reasons, the correct answer should occur to you.

6. Oct 9, 2014 #5
    Thanks guys! They have the same acceleration so the change in magnitude of velocity must be the same at any given time. It's just this is a question from an admission test and I find it unsettling that the machine will mark one correct and the other wrong...

7. Oct 9, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that is a common flaw in machine mediated tests.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted