Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Free]falling in love?

1. May 7, 2007 #1

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

4. May 7, 2007 #3
    How is this idiotic?

5. May 7, 2007 #4
    Its not zero gravity, but whatever. Its just to get the point across to the general public. It should say "simulated" zero gravity, but thats just being nit picky for no reason.

6. May 7, 2007 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Only my opinion. :smile:

I bet they're being held by thin strings.

Speaking of strings, I wonder if there are bungee-jumping weddings.

7. May 7, 2007 #6
    Excuse me, but I have to correct your correction.

The people in the freefalling plane (as these two were) are definitely experiencing zero gravity, there is nothing simulated about it.

But, you say, according to Newton's law of gravitation they are experiencing a force, and they are falling towards the earth. But what is the difference when astronaughts orbit the earth? Every piece of matter in the universe feels the force of the earths pull, nothing is free of this force.

But this was Einstein's insight: a freefalling observer does not feel their own weight. They are weightless. Gravitational acceleration is not the result of a force, it is the result of the absence of forces (indeed 'your weight' as you feel it is a force from the floor pushing you up!) and when this occurs an object moves along 'a straight line' in spacetime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?