Calculating Total Time and Height of a Free-Falling Object

• Thread starter thomasxc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework problem involving an object falling from a certain height. The object falls 0.48 of the total distance in the last second of its fall. The goal is to determine the total time and height from which the object was dropped. The conversation mentions using kinematic equations and applying them at different times to solve for the unknown variables. The initial velocity is given as zero and the displacement at time t = T-1 is 0.52 times the displacement at time t = T. The final solution involves setting up two equations and solving for the unknowns.
thomasxc

Homework Statement

an object falls .48 of the total distance in the last one second of its fall. determine total time and height from which it was dropped

Homework Equations

I have no idea. The kinematics, possibly?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to begin. I've tried guess and check with the kinematic equations, to no avail. Please help.

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
hi thomasxc! :smile:

if the total time is T, apply the standard constant acceleration equations at t = T and t = T - 1 :wink:

I'm so rusty at all of this. This is on an intro for my physics class. I am totally lost. I don't have distance, initial or final velocities, only acceleration, T and T-1.

thomasxc said:
I don't have distance, initial or final velocities, only acceleration, T and T-1.

you do have the initial velocity, it's zero

you also know that s at time t = T-1 is 0.52 times s at time t = T

ok. so for displacement, T-1=(.52)t right?

Im lost as to how to set that up.

thomasxc said:
ok. so for displacement, T-1=(.52)t right?

noooo :redface:

get some sleep, read the question, and try again in the morning :zzz:

v=d/t, with that you'll have the velocity at t=1s... Does that help?

I just worked out your problem and you can use s=ut + (at^2)/2 at t=t and t=t-1.

just write 2 eqns and you'll figure out a way easily.

What is a free-falling object?

A free-falling object is an object that is falling under the sole influence of gravity. It is not being affected by any other forces, such as air resistance or friction.

What is the acceleration of a free-falling object?

The acceleration of a free-falling object is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared, also known as the acceleration due to gravity. This means that the object's velocity increases by 9.8 meters per second every second it falls.

How does the mass of a free-falling object affect its acceleration?

The mass of a free-falling object does not affect its acceleration. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Since the only force acting on a free-falling object is gravity, its mass does not impact its acceleration.

What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a free-falling object?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a free-falling object is v = gt, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the object has been falling.

How does the height of a free-falling object impact its velocity?

The height of a free-falling object does not directly impact its velocity. However, the higher the object falls from, the longer it has to accelerate, leading to a higher final velocity. Additionally, at higher heights, air resistance may become a factor and slightly slow down the object's velocity.