Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Food

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    Free Food :)

http://www.unthinkkfc.com/

It's for real, I got a meal today, and it wasn't that bad either :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Re: Free Food :)

Eek! I hope you don't go there too often. Have you visited the food thread recently to get a feel of what actual human-food interaction might be like? :biggrin:

4. May 6, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I know, last monday was our free food day at KFC, and I forgot!!!

5. May 6, 2009 #4

Ahh, please tell me I am not going to die from it......

6. May 6, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

You probably won't die, but your female progeny will be born with little white goatees, and they will scream if they are not dressed in red-and-white stripes.

7. May 6, 2009 #6

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!

8. May 6, 2009 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't think of any place we have a KFC around here. We probably do have one and I'm just forgetting where. As far as fast food goes, KFC isn't bad.

A lot of places have been having free food giveaways lately. I heard it's part of their strategy to stimulate business with the slowed economy. I guess once they get you in the door, they hope you'll either come back again, or buy more while there. I haven't gotten a chance to take advantage of any of them though. Carvel was giving away something last week, but our only Carvel is downtown.

9. May 7, 2009 #8

Did someone call me? Where's the free food?

I can't stand KFC. I've only eaten there once or twice, but I used to live near one. The smell just about makes me nauseous. The food wasn't that bad I guess, but I couldn't enjoy it. That batter stuff is the worst. They'd have to pay me to eat it.

Candy-striped babies with beatnik facial hair sounds great. If I had one I'd bounce him on my knee before bed time and sing Dance Magic Dance as a lullaby, and when he burped I'd say bless you. We'd have a dog called Lunch and a cat named Desayuno. I'd dress like David Bowie and we'd go door to door giving goblin cookies to the neighbors after midnight. Can I have one of your children? If not on a permanent basis, perhaps on layaway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UoG-xQ9Lqc

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  10. May 7, 2009 #9

Lets just say that when I eat KFC or Popeyes that stuff goes out of me faster than it came in :yuck:. My body just cant take KFC.

11. May 7, 2009 #10

My advising professor emailed out a coupon for this promotion this morning. I'm not a big fan of KFC but I am a poor grad student so I guess I'll try it.

12. May 7, 2009 #11

turbo

Gold Member

It might not be just the grease, Cy. If Chinese food exits quickly, and some pre-packaged stuff made with dried soup mixes, like Lipton onion soup mixes, you might want to suspect a sensitivity to MSG. Even before it became a huge (life-threatening, actually for me) problem with most restaurants, I couldn't eat KFC, and that was in college almost 40 years ago. Their stuff is toxic. Food proccessers and restaurants don't have to admit to using MSG unless the additive stream is 97% pure glutamates. If you buy a bag of flavored chips that says "no MSG" and it lists "modified food starch" "hydrolyzed vegetable protein" "yeast extracts" "natural flavors" and over 50 other aliases you could be getting a huge dose in a handful of chips.

13. May 7, 2009 #12

Evo

When the Evo Child had chronic diarrhea when she was 2, her pediatrician told me to feed her greasy fried chicken and fries, he said that the fat would help to solidify her stool. I figured, what the heck. It worked! :bugeye:

14. May 7, 2009 #13

Mk

Does anybody know if "unfried" is a worldwide campaign, or only in the US?

15. May 7, 2009 #14

I guess people in some countries have too much food and money...

16. May 7, 2009 #15

Evo

turbo, I love you to death, but there is nothing wrong with MSG, the bad publicity is a myth. I researched it several years ago, and found nothing more that anecdotal stories of side effects from MSG, and scientific studies showed no effects from MSG.

Science: Why MSG myth is a load of chop suey

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg14119082.400-science-why-msg-myth-is-a-load-of-chop-suey-.html

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  17. May 7, 2009 #16

atyy

Science Advisor

What about http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/monosodium-glutamate/AN01251? About the billion Chinese with headaches - maybe they don't use MSG at home, it's just a restaurant thing - which they don't go to that often? Also, to be rigourous :tongue2:, did the Harvard study use Chinese food or American food?

18. May 7, 2009 #17

atyy

Science Advisor

So does grilled taste just as good as original fried?

19. May 7, 2009 #18

Evo

Your link says
    I did have a quite exhaustive peer-reviewed study that once and for all debunked the myth, but it's on my old computer. I will have to see if I can find it.

20. May 9, 2009 #19

turbo

Gold Member

MSG sensitivity is not a myth, Evo. The food industry can crank out peer-reviewed studies all they want to defend their profits. I would like them to interview the ER doctor that withheld epinephrine until my BP was down in the twenties over teens, with ER nurses telling her to dump the epi into my IV. When the nurse monitoring my BP hollered "we're losing him" the doctor relented. All three of them had to restrain me during the convulsions that followed, and when I woke up 4-5 hours later, the doctor was at my bedside with tears in her eyes, apologizing profusely because she thought that anaphylaxis due to MSG ingestion was a "myth". She doesn't think that any more.

21. May 9, 2009 #20

Oliver Sacks asserts that some people with Migraine are highly intolerant of MSG:

"In milder cases, there is just a feeling of malaise, with some shivering, pallor, borborygmus, and nausea; in more severe cases there may be absolute prostration, with severe visceral and vascular upset (including a typical vascular headache), a confused and even delerious mental state and considerable faintness, if not actual 'fainting'."

Migraine, p.153

I happened to note and remember this because a guy who hangs out at La Souris Perdue blamed a Chinese Restaurant that recently opened across the street for two bouts of food poisoning he had after eating there. He wasn't sure the first instance was caused by that place or somewhere else he'd eaten, so he gave it another shot and had the same bad result. No one else has complained about it, though. Then I happened to read this quote in Sacks and I suspect he may be a migraineur.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook